Did you sing your State Song every morning in Elementary School?

This. I've lived in VA for most of my 46 years and I have no idea if we have one.

When the song was “Carry me back to Old Virginny” it was an embarrassment that nobody talked about. They changed it in the 1990s, but that pissed off the rural parts of the state, so people still don’t talk about it.

I grew up in Houston in the 80s, and I guess by then we had stopped doing that. Just the Pledge of Allegiance and then lift off.

Reactions: Tig
No clue what the state song is here. Sister Mary Catherine used to hold her left tit when saying the pledge. So weird. The pledge was always followed by the Lord's Prayer. The pledge's god and the prayer's god always felt like two very distinct and opposing imaginary friends. Certainly not the same one.

I recently had cause to look up the state song of Michigan. At 37, I had never heard of it. Now, a few months later, I can't call to mind the title.

I don't remember singing it every morning, but we would sing Maryland, My Maryland at times. We also sang the (at the time) official Baltimore song, Baltimore Our Baltimore.
Baltimore, where Carroll flourished, and the fame of Calvert grew!

Here the old defenders conquered as their valiant swords they drew.

Here the starry banner glistened in the sunshine of the sea,

In that dawn of golden vision that awoke the song of Key:

Here are hearts that beat forever for the city we adore;

Here the love of men and brothers -- Baltimore, our Baltimore!

That's only because you didn't have Mr. Evans as your grade-school music teacher (signature tagline: "I don't teach music, I TEACH LIFE!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:)

:hippie:

All I remember is playing the autoharp and the recorder, and Hot Cross Buns and Greensleeves.

Nope. Dunno if Jersey even has a song. Whatever it was probably got changed by Chris Christie, that fat motherfucking fatass, into some donut jingle.

Back