Did you ever dream-write a song?

Gary Blanchard

beloved, local musician
I woke up several times during the night with a song going through my head; the tune and some of the lyrics were right there. I got into the office this morning and wrote it all down and ran through it. It is an unusual song for me; looking at death as "The Land of Long Away." I'll try to get it into the studio this weekend and probably post it at my February song (though I have two others written this month).

This is not the first song to come to me like that, but it is rather rare for me.

I sometimes come up with odd or interesting phrases just as I'm nodding off. They wake me up. Some times I write them down. Sometimes I don't and wish I did because I never remember them in the morning.

Never a whole song though.

I sometimes come up with odd or interesting phrases just as I'm nodding off. They wake me up. Some times I write them down. Sometimes I don't and wish I did because I never remember them in the morning.

Never a whole song though.
I did get up and write one song down a few weeks back; I remember now it was Children of the Sun. This one I didn't particularly want to remember, though I think it is a beautiful song. I just prefer not to think of my death too much at this point of my life. :grin: The song, however, would not go away, and I plan a nice musical arrangement for it.

Happens quite often to me. The big trick is either forcing yourself awake in order to jot down notes, or recall it in the morning.

I've also written many complete songs in my head during long car or motorcycle trips. Lyrics, guitar parts, bass parts etc... The whole enchilada.

I dream wrote a song with Neko Case once. Just as we were about to perform it live together for a broadcast I woke up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guitar teacher in high school excitedly opened one of our lessons with the song thatcame to him in a dream the night before.

I had to tell him he'd just transposed Free Fallin into a harder-to-play key.

Yes several times. One was actually quite complicated, almost classical. I used to have dreams where I solved actual math equations back when I was in high school.

Reactions: OGG
Back