Newsflash! Detroit Train Station Hope!

Acadiafall

Kiss Me Hardy
I hadnt even seen this place up until a couple of years ago. Since then Ive seen it appear on quite a few "Oh my God, look at the state of Detroit" photos on the www.

Anyway it seems theres hope for it yet. I hope so, its a sad day when we let buildings such as this simply fall to pieces. Wherever they may be.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-31596161

It's can probably be bought for a hundred quid.
It is a nice fixer upper

I used to drive right past that place on the way to Tiger's Stadium to see a baseball game. Since the Tigers moved to Comerica Park right downtown, I haven't seen it lately.

That's kind of the way I've always seen it though, still go downtown quiet a bit since my mom lives there. Would like to see it fixed up and used for something, but you could say that for a lot of Detroit.

Cool photos.

I wonder why a train station needed to have so many upper floors? Offices for the train bureaucracy I guess...

Really, Detroit should probably just be leveled and then just start over from scratch.

Everything was mis-managed for so long and things just fell apart mostly due to greed and nobody caring. It does have some great areas, and there are people that are trying to build it up again by focusing on something other than the auto industry. Still needs work but there's potential for it, I wish it luck.

Reactions: Tig
The train station is still a tourist attraction of sorts. For photographers, shooting Urban Decay is quite popular and Detroit has lots.

The old train station in South Bend (that used to sit right next to the Studebaker factory) has been repurposed and is now one of the 4 data centers in our city.

South-bend-union-station.jpg

space.jpg

There are probably 30 rooms like this... some I don't have access to.
connectivity2_0.jpg

The first picture of Union Station was taken from across the street... on the sidewalk leading up to the South Bend Cubs box office.

south-bend.jpg

I hope they can save it, but a rail station in a city built on the concept of a dominant U.S. auto industry is at least two strikes down, at least in the current US. I suspect the rich owners are replacing the windows as some sort of federal tax incentive scam. It is Detroit after all.

Last edited:
The old train station in South Bend (that used to sit right next to the Studebaker factory) has been repurposed and is now one of the 4 data centers in our city.

South-bend-union-station.jpg

They totally ripped off Grand Funk Railroad for the name of that thing!

(I am European; I love train stations. It makes me sad to see them be something else.)

For a while it was an event hall. Still has a 25 foot long bar in the lobby.... but now you have to have special pre-authorized credentials to even get past the motorized gate.

Back