DECEMBER SONGWRITING REVEAL!

Peen Simmons

Let’s Get Obtuse!
Weird weather patterns all across America this new year.

@mnewb1 has issued a “Winter Sun” advisory for most of the eastern seaboard

@Gary Blanchard is warning all “Children of the Sun” to wear a jacket if they so much as think about going outside.

And @smurfco is predicting a case of extreme “Mountain” across most of the Ohio Valley River Basin.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e3lcxpr09x8lmd8/Mountain.mp3

@bsman warns everyone to “Just Be Quiet Please” lest the sky gods become angry and unleash their frosty wrath.

For the Channel 666 weather team this has been Peen Simmons reminding you that we’re all just random neural patterns and “Teenage Vapor.”

Last edited:
@bsman provided his lyrics for extreme parsing...

Just be Quiet Please

Just be quiet please
I don’t speak whinese
You just don’t have a clue
No one’s going to come save you

Chorus:
You were the golden one
Always basking in the sun
But it’s falling down on you
No one cares now what you do

You thought you were so clever
Never thinking whatsoever
Now you’re out there all alone
With the harvest that you’ve sown

Chorus:

I tried to help you see
But you turned your back on me
So you failed once again
Now you’re looking for a friend

Chorus:

Well I’ve had all I can take
And I’m through for my own sake
You’re supposed to be grown up
Why don’t you finally own up

Good to see so much participation this month

Gary: good song, good mix, I especially like the visuals that are gathering in the Park!

Smurfco: unfortunately I can’t get this to load from Dropbox, I’ll try again later

Bsman: stormy weather indeed...good song, just don’t want to be the subject of this tale

Peen: left me longing for my youth...excellent song, good drivin riff, diggin the lyrics!! Nice, Man!

@bsman provided his lyrics for extreme parsing...

Just be Quiet Please

Just be quiet please
I don’t speak whinese
You just don’t have a clue
No one’s going to come save you

Chorus:
You were the golden one
Always basking in the sun
But it’s falling down on you
No one cares now what you do

You thought you were so clever
Never thinking whatsoever
Now you’re out there all alone
With the harvest that you’ve sown

Chorus:

I tried to help you see
But you turned your back on me
So you failed once again
Now you’re looking for a friend

Chorus:

Well I’ve had all I can take
And I’m through for my own sake
You’re supposed to be grown up
Why don’t you finally own up

Whinese is clearly racist against whiners

@mnewb1 — That’s a cool thing. It’s got a good hook and the wordless R&B vocal against the Gary Numan vibe makes for a neat feel. Weird, wild stuff.

@Gary Blanchard — another strong song that sounds like a lost existing classic. Also the second time this in 2017 that you and I have written songs with the same general subject/feeling but from radically different viewpoints. I gotta keep my hand out of the brown acid jar.

@smurfco — A stunner. I really dig this. It’s got White Album vibes. Sounds great.

@bsman — Thanks for joining in. The lyric is nice and curdled. I’d say it’s even a bit meaner than Dylan’s failed relationship numbers. I also like the overall structure which feels like an impossibly old folksong or lament. Nice work.

For some reason Dropbox will not ever work for me. I download the mp3 to my phone and then it will not open the file.

Everyone did a great job though. I'm sure Smurfco did well too.

Last edited:
Nice job, gentlemen.
Smurfco, I fucking love your tune. You never fail to absolutely floor me with your chord structures and sense of melody. The lyrics and the overall tone really resonated with me too--and the relatively sparse arrangement, with one other instrument at a time coming in, was perfect.

EDIT: Just listened a couple more times--it really is sublime.

Last edited:
@bsman — Thanks for joining in. The lyric is nice and curdled. I’d say it’s even a bit meaner than Dylan’s failed relationship numbers. I also like the overall structure which feels like an impossibly old folksong or lament. Nice work.

Thanks. I gave myself a whole five minutes to work out a tune before I recorded it. This fall, I wrote several lyrics and they’re all pretty dark, because at that time I was convinced that I was going to get fired at work. In the event, it didn’t happen, so perhaps I can find some less troubling inspirations. FYI, now that I have a place to play at home, I need to get an audio interface that will allow me to record voice and guitar on my ipad. What I have now (iRig HD) works fine for hooking up guitar to Amplitude/GarageBand, but doesn’t allow me to add vocals.

Nice job, gentlemen.
Smurfco, I fucking love your tune. You never fail to absolutely floor me with your chord structures and sense of melody. The lyrics and the overall tone really resonated with me too--and the relatively sparse arrangement, with one other instrument at a time coming in, was perfect.

EDIT: Just listened a couple more times--it really is sublime.
Thanks Mike and everyone. Back in the office today and everything is going nuts so I haven't had a chance to listen but will do so tomorrow.

Sorry smurfco, I have tried on a couple different occasions to listen to your song, and it sounds like I am truly missing something, but I cant not get it to load and play

Back