Dean Zelinsky parking lot sale this weekend.

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
Screen Shot 2016-04-04 at 5.08.18 PM.png

The neck profile is fine, but I've tried a used one with the "Z-Glide" neck. Ugh. I don't see how the theory of less resistance/faster movement applies, because it felt like a wooden cheese-grater.

As much as I would like to check out the sale, funds are short, and it's Mrs. CBH's birthday, so there.

@Jbird , Highland Park is a far-Northern suburb, so figure at least another hour on I-94 after you hit the Big City limits...well, maybe 45 minutes on a Saturday :wink:.

it's Mrs. CBH's birthday, so there.
All the more reason to go...

I have a Z-Glide.
I like it.

I do find that the profile isn't the greatest for me. The angle at the edge of the fret board seems to acute.
It's like a flattened C shape, I guess.

Still, I get around that every time I play that guitar by getting my hand into a more proper playing position. Funny how that works.

The neck profile is fine, but I've tried a used one with the "Z-Glide" neck. Ugh. I don't see how the theory of less resistance/faster movement applies, because it felt like a wooden cheese-grater.

As much as I would like to check out the sale, funds are short, and it's Mrs. CBH's birthday, so there.

@Jbird , Highland Park is a far-Northern suburb, so figure at least another hour on I-94 after you hit the Big City limits...well, maybe 45 minutes on a Saturday :wink:.
Yeah, that would be more like a 3 hour drive, or more depending on traffic.

I'd consider it if I had extra cash. But now isn't the right time for another guitar.

I don't think I'd cross the street to check out a Dean (unless it was an original from the late-1970's), much less make the drive to HP.

Note to shoppers: Dress warm. The high temperature is forecast to be 42 degrees. Perfect for checking out guitars.

I don't think I'd cross the street to check out a Dean (unless it was an original from the late-1970's), much less make the drive to HP.

Note to shoppers: Dress warm. The high temperature is forecast to be 42 degrees. Perfect for checking out guitars.
They aren't Deans. They are Dean Zelinskys. Different companies.

They aren't Deans. They are Dean Zelinskys. Different companies.

I understand the distinction between the two companies, but I lump all of Dean Zelinsky's guitars together in one mental pile because they have no appeal for me and I can't be bothered to expend the mental energy. :)

Except for the Cadillac. Always had a soft spot for that guitar. This is pretty hot.

guitar_dean_1980_cadillac_jefferson_starship_1979_1978_w.jpg

Hmmmmmm, that's only about 90 miles from me. Hmmmmmmmm, must think about this..................

Edit - actually, it's only 60 miles away. I may just end up making a little road trip on Saturday morning.

Last edited:
I've got a StrettaVita. Put a vintage DiMarzio X2N in the bridge and dropped it to C Standard...excellent budget metal axe!

Hmmm, starts at 9:embarrassed:0, I get out of work at 7:15, it takes 3 1/2 hours to drive there. That means sometime around 11:embarrassed:0. All the deals will be gone by about 9:15 so I'll make the trip for nothing. I think I'll just go home and go to bed instead.

A few parking spaces in Chicago? I'm not sure you'd have the funds for that. You could probably buy an entire months production at Gibson for that money.

The sale is north of Chicago in Highland Park. If you don't want to mess with the southbound toll-ways on I-94 or I-294, just take US HWY 41, when it branches off I-94,just south of the Wisconsin/Illinois state line. Dean Zelinsky Guitars is about 20 miles or so, south of the branch-off, alongside of Hwy 41. I've been down that way before.

Back