Mojo Request Dammit...yeah, some mojo could be good...

Sucks to get that kind of news but as mentioned, you can turn this one around. You obviously have the support of this room. It aint easy but you can definitely manage it. Mo is a good resource as he has lived it and beat it. We are pulling for you.

Mojo man. It is pretty tough to take getting that kind of news, but in the long run, it is much better to get the news than have the illness wreck your life. A few years ago when I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure, I was almost knocked out when I got the news. I am under 40, non-smoker, some would say underweight, so that is the last thing I was expecting. The good news, is it made me change my diet (which still needs a little work) and it got me exercising. That and the meds I have to take, should make me live a good life. If I hadn't gone to the doc, I may have had a heart attack by now.

You can still reverse it man. You've got the whole Prages house sending Mojo to ya, even Sadie. :wink: Diabetes can be handled and even gotten rid of, it just takes some work. It's definitely worth it though when you knock all that stuff out.

I know Dee is backing you up to as well as the budding Drummer.

The trick is to actually be grossed out by all the food you used to eat that really should gross you out... Fat is gross. Salts and preservatives are gross... Starchy refined foods are gross... Refined white sugar is gross... Sugar substitutes are gross... Pesticides and hormones are gross... Lips and assholes are gross...

Learn to appreciate, like, and prefer REAL food, and you will be on your way...

Mojo out your way. We have your back Kyle. As thin as I have always been, my cholesterol numbers started creeping up, and that motivated me to start exercising again. You can do this. Even without the running thing. Message Tamoore - he changed his diet and that alone dropped I believe about 100 lbs off of him before he started running. It won't be easy, but count on us to encourage/kick your ass up the hill as it gets tough.

Mojo to you bro. I have been fighting it for the past 9 years. I hope that one day I can be like and reverse it but it does take work. All the things we take for granted at a young age catches up to you as you get older. Beside you have the Weiner camp behind you so that is a big plus.

Some things to consider Aahz:

I don't know what it's like in the US, but Doctors over here are reluctant to hand out test meters and strips for home testing...they're pretty expensive I believe. Imo, this is absolutely ESSENTIAL. You need to test yourself before meals and then two hours afterwards to see what the food is doing to you. I was lucky that my nurse persuaded my Doctor that I needed to self test at home and she asked me to keep a food diary too.

My findings were that, carbohydrates, particularly in white rice, potatoes, pasta and flour were the biggest culprits. I could eat ANY amount of protein and green vegetables with almost zero impact on my blood sugar level. Slow release carbs, found in porridge (oatmeal), lentils and brown rice or wholemeal bread were better..but you still have to be careful with those. SMALL portions of carbs is the key. For about 4 months, I made sure I had no more than 60-80g of carbs a day..that's more than you can have with something like Atkins I believe..but is a lot healthier. If I was having a lazy weekend at home, I'd have even fewer carbs. There are lots of carb counters available..use 'em.

The good news is that you can still eat lots of great stuff, a full roast dinner for example..just go easy on the potatoes. The biggest thing I had to deal with was not being able to eat curry and rice regularly, which I never thought I could do..but it's surprising what you get used to. I ended up making wholewheat breads to go with the curries and it worked out great. This is where self testing really helps. It's a terrific motivator to eat a tasty dinner, feel satisfied and be able to prove that your blood sugar is within a normal range. Then, very occasionally, I'd treat myself to pizza or pasta or rice with my curry, and yes, my levels were then shit..but occasionally is the key word.

Thanks all. Mo, thanks for that overview on the eating. I was figuring lowered carbs would be they key...

What Mosiddiqi said. I am speaking for type I Diabetes mostly, but the tighter control you have over blood sugar levels, the fewer negative effects to the condition there are.

Last edited:
Yep - the trick is to avoid eating things that will spike your blood sugar then have it go way down again. It's stressful to the body.

My father-in-law was adult-onset diabetic. Which lead to borderline hypertension. Which lead to atrial fibrillation in his heart. Which lead to multiple small strokes. Which lead to him not be able to walk, swallow or eat food. Which lead to his death which was probably preventable if we'd been observant.

Changing your diet and adding exercise can totally turn this around and hopefully things will go okay for you. Good luck!

Back