Dad related mojo request...really bad day

Mojo! My grandpa had to go through a quadruple bypass at 83 last January and he's still kickin'... your dad is a young pup in comparison and I'm sure will do fine. :thu:

Great that they caught it in time to do something about it. My dad wasn't so lucky.
Bigtime Dad Mojo!

No, the laws/rules are very clear on this issue. My position there can't impact enrollment or procedure positioning, as it should be. I'm just glad I knew about it, or things would look more bleak, as I bet many, many people don't look up stuff like this on the government clinical trials registry. Heck, even my knowing about it is a bit of a fluke.
That sucks...of all the ways people get away with stuff today this is one area you should be allowed to take advantage of...

Heart surgery is scary stuff. When I worked in a radiology dept, I got to watch stent graft procedures and they are crazy. It really is amazing what they can do now. Poppa mojo sent.

According to the guy who is going to do the surgery, my dad's quintuple bypass 20 years ago is a physiological walk in the park compared to a surgical aortic replacement. The doc told me, before I met with my parents, that this kind of thing is about as close to the edge as medicine can push surgical techniques today. We talked about mortality and morbidity rates in a professional tone, but at the end of that he told me that this was about as difficult a surgery as is possible today, and the risks of death in the procedure and post op are very, very real. He seemed hopeful that he could help my dad, but, it is impossible to know outcomes in situations like this. I guess I count the last 20 years we got together after his giant bypass as a gift and hope for more years.

I don't mean these comments to demean anyone else here's past family history and experiences at all. I'm just trying to pass on what I heard, mostly in a way that is therapeutic to me (venting). Again, I'm not trying to dismiss any comments or in any way be dick-ish. Just random venting. I'm sure those of you who have done this before 'get it'.

major mojo to you and yer dad and family.

my dad had an aortic anuerism and had to have it removed. they used a section of vein from his leg to do the graft. it took 13 hours of surgery. that was in the late 80's. he died in '98 of congestive heart problems, nothing to do with the aorta surgery.
his dad died of an aorta anuerism at 72, but they knew he had it for the last 10 years of his life. he was mowing the yard (with a push reel mower) and tripped and fell on the little hill and it burst, or he would have lived even longer.

i'm saying this because the removal can be pretty succssful, but it ain't easy.

hopes and prayers to all.

Last edited:
Mojo

I imagine the fact that you understand the procedure and the inherent risks makes it far more terrifying than it might be for someone more ignorant. Certainly when my Dad had his head injury it changed a lot once I talked in depth with a friend who is a neurosurgeon as I learned more about the possible outcomes. Fortunately for my family it worked out well for him. For my Mom when she got ovarian cancer not so much. But some of us just have to know all the details :shrug:

Back