Cymbal suggestions

Chad

Slender Hobbit
So I bought a kit last year and it came with a ride and high hats and they are terrible. I want to replace them and add a crash or 2. I don't want to spend a fortune and I will probably replace the ride, and move the existing ride to be a crash, since I don't have one now. Give me some suggestions on some lower priced cymbals that don't suck.

The Sabian X-20 line is pretty good. It sits between the entry level cymbals and the pro cymbals. If you look online, you might be able to get used cymbals, and save even more money. Of all the cymbals that I have, I think I only bought 2 that were new. I don't think you'll be happy with the ride as a crash, because you won't get nearly as much wash and sustain.

Another option might be the Paiste Alpha line. I would suggest that you audition them, because I have never tried them, but I know a number of drummers that do like them as their primary cymbals.

Of course, what sounds good to your ears might be different to what sounds good to mine, so definitely do some listening. Both Zildjian and Sabian have sound files on their sites that can help you get a rough idea of what you might like. At least that might narrow things down for you.

The Sabian X-20 line is pretty good. It sits between the entry level cymbals and the pro cymbals. If you look online, you might be able to get used cymbals, and save even more money. Of all the cymbals that I have, I think I only bought 2 that were new. I don't think you'll be happy with the ride as a crash, because you won't get nearly as much wash and sustain.

Another option might be the Paiste Alpha line. I would suggest that you audition them, because I have never tried them, but I know a number of drummers that do like them as their primary cymbals.

Of course, what sounds good to your ears might be different to what sounds good to mine, so definitely do some listening. Both Zildjian and Sabian have sound files on their sites that can help you get a rough idea of what you might like. At least that might narrow things down for you.

Thanks. I know the current ride won't be great, but it is a crash/ride and it is pretty thin. I am only planning on using it like that until I can afford to replace it, I mean it is better than nothing. :grin:

http://zildjian.com/Products/Drumse...mbals/K-Custom-Series/13-K-Custom-Dark-HiHats

Not cheap. Totally worth it. You'll never need another set of hats. If you some how lose your mind and decide to sell them, they hold their value incredibly well.

On a bit of the cheaper side, Dream Cymbals are pretty great. I like these hats a lot too, and if you email them their support team is great and can help you find exactly the set you're looking for. They have uniform pricing per cymbal size too. http://www.dreamcymbals.com/dark-matter-14hh

http://zildjian.com/Products/Drumse...mbals/K-Custom-Series/13-K-Custom-Dark-HiHats

Not cheap. Totally worth it. You'll never need another set of hats. If you some how lose your mind and decide to sell them, they hold their value incredibly well.

On a bit of the cheaper side, Dream Cymbals are pretty great. I like these hats a lot too, and if you email them their support team is great and can help you find exactly the set you're looking for. They have uniform pricing per cymbal size too. http://www.dreamcymbals.com/dark-matter-14hh

Those Zildjians are more expensive than my kit :grin:

Thanks. I know the current ride won't be great, but it is a crash/ride and it is pretty thin. I am only planning on using it like that until I can afford to replace it, I mean it is better than nothing. :grin:

I understand. I have an 18" Zildjian K Crash/Ride on my kit. It's nice when I want a darker accent, but I much prefer the Zildjian A Custom crashes on my kit.

You're going about it the right way. Piece a set together as you find good deals on used, higher-end stuff. Those quick beats are great hats and you usually can't go wrong with vintage Zildjian.

Back