Curt Mangan Strings

fused

Improvisationalist

http://pro.curtmangan.com/

Well I decided to check out some small ma/pa (so to speak) string manufacturers and ordered two custom sets of bronze for my Martin from these guys. They came last night and are already on the axe (of course).

First glance, nicely wound and quality sure seems to ooz from these metal strands of wire.

Put them on, did the manual string pull/stretch thing as I always do. Tuned them up twice....and beat the fk out of them.

Heavy handed rhythms and chord prog hell to some acoustic shred... Yes shred.....as much as could be done on this axe.

About an hour of sheer string hell for these things..and they stayed IN TUNE! BRAND NEW AND didn't need to retune, it stuck!

Now these aren't a very loud string but the tone and balance (some maybe due to my custom selection, some to string quality) and playability is extremely good.

They don't bend easily but enough to make them acceptable on the acoustic. Wouldn't cut it for my fusion lead axes...
So not sure about the extreme high tensil wire stuff that they talk about on thier factory tour...might not work for some applications. But for this acoustic, just seems to click nicely.

Of course, we're only an hour into them. About a week of beating (um testing) and I'll hit them with a little Dr. Ducks and see how they like that.

I got a set of their 12=string guitar strings; had them on one day, the next day they sounded like crap and wouldn't hold tune. Went out and bought a different brand. Maybe their electric strings are better.

They sent me some stings a few years ago to try when they wanted me to be a dealer. I really want too in live with them but I did do a shoot out with them on the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They sent me some stings a few years ago to try when they wanted me to be a dealer. I really want too in live with them but I did do a shoot out with them on the forum.

Still rattled from the doctor's appointment, I see. :grin:

I'm assuming you weren't too in love with them but gave them a shout out. I wasn't at all in love with them and gave them a toss-out. :snooty:

Actually it was a shoot out comparison between them, the Gibson vintage reissue and the daddario strings.

Wow, very cool to have some feedback on these. Greatly appreciated..

The first hour was pretty good.

Seems that (from the input here) longevity might be a problem.
I will beat them up... I just wanted to give the small US company a shot.

Certainly not going with the electrics since they have the same stiff core wires and I bend the hell out of my wound strings on most of my axes....

Well, I will not hope for too much but I will give them a fair shot...

Results thus far....

The Martin, custom gauges, did a Bon Fire gig with them... Humidity was huge...yet, they held just fine. Still sound great...been on this box for about a month now. And these aren't the treated strings... I'm sold on them...at least for this axe.

Put a custom gauge set on my 12... I'm liking them thus far. Very balanced (again I do custom gauges, not off the shelf sets so maybe their sets suck...not sure...)

So having been happy with the acoustics, I decided to try an electric.

Now I will say that I don't think I'd care for their plain strings on my electrics, very stiff....
So I swapped out only the wound strings... Got the PURE Nickel...
I like these a lot...thus far...
I'm the biggest skeptic out there so I'm not "trying" to like them...
The wounds, I'm really liking the definition, the tone, and they bend nicely.

The plains, fine on my acoustics.... But I can tell already, wouldn't want the plains on my electrics....
So just pure nickel wounds for the electrics.... We'll give them some time...thus far....I like em...

Back