Cultural imperialism

untitled.JPG

The 50s hot rod and rockabilly scene is pretty strong here, too. And the Europeans consistently come out, both as attendees and as performers. I'm shooting for a rockabilly festival here in town in May, and I'm sure it will have a pretty good European attendance.

I'd complain about appropriation of 50's American culture, but I always hated that scene
+1,000,000

I think I may actually despise hipsters less than I do the Brill cream slopping, white t shirt wearing, hot rod loving, poodle skirt chasing asshats that are part of that scene.

+1,000,000

I think I may actually despise hipsters less than I do the Brill cream slopping, white t shirt wearing, hot rod loving, poodle skirt chasing asshats that are part of that scene.

What "scene"? I've never seen people look like that in decades other than a few musicians on stage (which I have no problem with).

Jimmie-Vaughan.jpg

Now if you talk shit on Jimmy Vaughan, I'll kindly ask you to step outside, sir! :grin:

What "scene"? I've never seen people look like that in decades other than a few musicians on stage (which I have no problem with).

Jimmie-Vaughan.jpg

Now if you talk shit on Jimmy Vaughan, I'll kindly ask you to step outside, sir! :grin:
If you haven't seen groups of these numbnuts, consider yourself lucky. California is chock full of them. They all drive shitty rat rots with Betty Boop stickers on them and have a pack of Cool's rolled up in their sleeve.

No one name called, heck even I've been Fonzie for Halloween. My sub-group basically stays inside playing advanced dungeons and dragons.
Or sometimes we get up to mischiefs

I saw a killer rat rod last weekend. True sleeper of a rust bucket with a blower motor under what was left of the hood.

Reactions: Tig
I'm not part of the hot rod rockabilly scene, but I have enjoyed the interactions I've had with its members. They're a blast to photograph.
No one name called, heck even I've been Fonzie for Halloween. My sub-group basically stays inside playing advanced dungeons and dragons.
Or sometimes we get up to mischiefs

I believe the terms asshats and numbnuts were thrown out.

Can we just agree to disagree on this topic and maybe dial down the name calling a notch?
Sorry, I don't understand the appeal. If it's your thing, cool. To each their own.

Around here, the Rockabilly crowd is generally populated with folks who are insufferable when congregated in large groups. While the same could be said for virtually any group of like-minded enthusiasts, I'm not a fan of seeing/hearing a slow moving convoy of primer grey shitboxes with headers and straight pipes rapping on the throttle relentlessly so as to make sure everyone hears them.

I don't like the music, I don't like the cars, I don't like the fashion and I especially don't like the celebrated Era of misogyny and national paranoia it harkens back to.

All of this is simply my personal taste. A luxury we all have, like opinions.

I love 80's music. I don't hang out in groups of people wearing checkered shirts, swatches, neon bracelets, parachute pants, wayfarer shades and creepers or wagon train around town with them in a convoy Datsun B210's and Chrysler K Cars either.

I don't long for the oppressive weight of the Cold War in its twilight years while Gorbachev and Reagan play chicken with nukes.

If I did, people might consider me a douche.

Again, every one is free to like what they like.

If my own personal tastes offend you, that's a shame. I'm sure there are some really cool people into that stuff. I celebrate their right to freedom of choice. I still don't understand the appeal.

Sweeping generalizations aren't ever a good platform for discussion, my bad. For clarity, it is the group mentality that I was knocking. Just as I would with any mass ensemble when their interests are outside my personal preferences. Don't take it personal.

I'm not a follower. I don't identify with groups or clubs or genres.

I love Star Trek, I still think Trekkies are dorks.

I owned a Harley, Biker clubs still seem lame.

That's just me.

Frankie say Relax.

Sorry, I don't understand the appeal. If it's your thing, cool. To each their own.

Around here, the Rockabilly crowd is generally populated with folks who are insufferable when congregated in large groups. While the same could be said for virtually any group of like-minded enthusiasts, I'm not a fan of seeing/hearing a slow moving convoy of primer grey shitboxes with headers and straight pipes rapping on the throttle relentlessly so as to make sure everyone hears them.

I don't like the music, I don't like the cars, I don't like the fashion and I especially don't like the celebrated Era of misogyny and national paranoia it harkens back to.

All of this is simply my personal taste. A luxury we all have, like opinions.

I love 80's music. I don't hang out in groups of people wearing checkered shirts, swatches, neon bracelets, parachute pants, wayfarer shades and creepers or wagon train around town with them in a convoy Datsun B210's and Chrysler K Cars either.

I don't long for the oppressive weight of the Cold War in its twilight years while Gorbachev and Reagan play chicken with nukes.

If I did, people might consider me a douche.

Again, every one is free to like what they like.

If my own personal tastes offend you, that's a shame. I'm sure there are some really cool people into that stuff. I celebrate their right to freedom of choice. I still don't understand the appeal.

Sweeping generalizations aren't ever a good platform for discussion, my bad. For clarity, it is the group mentality that I was knocking. Just as I would with any mass ensemble when their interests are outside my personal preferences. Don't take it personal.

I'm not a follower. I don't identify with groups or clubs or genres.

I love Star Trek, I still think Trekkies are dorks.

I owned a Harley, Biker clubs still seem lame.

That's just me.

Frankie say Relax.
Would you wear the parachute pants for me?

Back