Croce's (yes, as in Jim) is no more.

OGG

Master of the Meh
Well, this just sucks.

http://crocesparkwest.com

Both the original Gaslamp location (30 years) and the much newer Park West location were San Diego institutions. It was really sad when the first location had to close due to an irreconcilable feud with the landlord. It was great news when Ingrid announced the move to new digs. But alas, it just wasn't the same, didn't have the available foot traffic etc... so now it too, is gone.

I got this email from Ingrid last month:

Dear Rod,

Thank you so much for your interest in playing Croce’s Park West.

I will certainly keep you in mind for a future gig but we are currently booked through February and will not be booking until the end of January.

Happy New Year!

Ingrid

My band mates and I were really looking forward to playing there. Not meant to be. Another great venue for live, local music has shuttered. Ingrid did a great deal to help promote such for many decades. What a shame.

Goodnight Croce's. Thanks for the memories.

That's too bad. I ate there when I visited San Diego once. The food tasted like airplane metal and singed body parts but it had a cool atmosphere.

One of my dad's good friends moved out to SD in the 80s and started a Chicago-style hot dog and beef sandwich lunch spot just down the street from Croce's Gaslamp location. Apparently Jim's widow and the restaurant group got into it with my dad's friend and basically helped run him out of business because he was stealing their lunch crowd or something. With hot dogs and imported Jay's and Old Style.

One of my dad's good friends moved out to SD in the 80s and started a Chicago-style hot dog and beef sandwich lunch spot just down the street from Croce's Gaslamp location. Apparently Jim's widow and the restaurant group got into it with my dad's friend and basically helped run him out of business because he was stealing their lunch crowd or something. With hot dogs and imported Jay's and Old Style.
Was it "Sluggo's"?

I can only think of a few such Chicago style places out here from that time period. Sluggo's was one of them. Great place. A second Sluggo's location opened up north of downtown in Rancho Bernardo in the early 90s. A guy by the name of Richard Skale owned it. Great place, super cool guy, who apparently had some ties to da mob byack home in Chicahgo over dare.

You know, I can't recall the name of it. My dad's buddy is Bill Dorsett. I assume he had partners. And I believe he had some connections dating back to when he used to race cars. I was 10 or 11 when everything went down, so I only know the broad outlines and remember eating at the joint on vacation.

Reactions: OGG
You know, I can't recall the name of it. My dad's buddy is Bill Dorsett. I assume he had partners. And I believe he had some connections dating back to when he used to race cars. I was 10 or 11 when everything went down, so I only know the broad outlines and remember eating at the joint on vacation.
Cool.

This guy Richard, was formerly in the "Optometry" business...

Uh huh.

Dude lived in a $1M + house on a private golf course and had an original Varga hanging in his Veranda. He didn't exyackly strike me yas da kinda gyuy dat fit eyeglasses for a living. More like a gyuy dat would put you in a sassage grinder if ya didn't pay yer debts. :)

God sure has knocked a few great planes out of the sky but none as bad as when he knocked Aaliyah out of the sky right after she was in a movie.

Back