Crash course in driving a stick

While I say I don't know how to drive a stick, I HAVE driven them a few times, for short distances.

I just have trouble getting them going. Once they are moving down the road I have no problems shifting thru the gears.

My problem is I can't feel when the clutch engages, and have no idea on how much gas to give it. People tell me to start giving it gas when you feel the clutch start to engage. All I ever feel is the clutch pedal going in and out idn_smilie Then, I'm either giving it way too much gas, causing the tires to spin etc, which then I release the gas & clutch pedals and it stalls, or I don't give it enough gas, so it stalls. Either way, I stall it. Forget trying to get precise with the car, like in parallel parking. It won't happen :embarrassed:

Driving a stick wasn't so bad until my dad made me stop on a hill and start again. The first few times, I must have rolled back about 10 feet before I let the clutch out far enough. It got better quickly, though. '65 Rambler with 3 on the tree.
my dad 'helped' me buy my first car (1972) and INSISTED it was a stick. then we went to a local park that had a big hill (western Pa.) and made me learn to stop on the hill and take off without stalling or rolling back more than a few inches.

now.....i've owned more vehicles with manual trannys than autos. i own a 5 speed now.
everyone should learn on a stick. a monkey can drive an auto.

Back