Crafted in China Fender Strat - not Squier

dodgechargerfan

CanadianGary
Administrator
I saw one at a flea market yesterday.
It had a few surfaces scratches that would probably buff out. The whammy bar is missing and it needed strings.

It was light! I am tempted.

He asked $250 but said to try my offer.
He's not a guitar guy. He's a flea market guy. He has tons of stuff of all kinds. So, I don't think he knows the market.

Unfortunately, neither do I for these things.
I did a quick Google search while I was there to try and figure it out but just got less informed.

Anyone have any experience with these?

If it's early 80's yeah, it's legit. Can't tell you how to tell though. When CBS sold Fender no factory stuff etc., etc. came with the deal. For brief period Fender guitars were totally manufactured in Japan.

I read Fender moved some of their Modern Player and Classic Player models to a factory in China. Never seen one or played one so that is all I can really say. I kind of recall there were some other models moved from Mexico to China. I have no idea on the value, but it if played and sounded good, I might jump on it .

Last edited:
Yup - the recent Modern Player series Strats were MIC and were street-priced around $399 - just above most Squiers. The Strats had rosewood fretboards, and were SSH (white or silverburst) or HSH (red mahogany-ish).

Hmmm.

This was SSS in Candy Red.
I couldn't plug it in at all, but I'd expect to go through the electronics anyway.

About the only thing I didn't like we're the tuners. The high e string was broken and the tuner was not under any tension and it was really loose. I'd give it a shot to see how it holds up.

Oh, and it has the big head stock.

Back