Cracking The Code Season 1

That's awesome! I can totally relate. I had a couple Metal Method lessons, and I remember that one exercise he was playing. I had posters of Eddie and Randy on the wall. And then... Yngwie came along. Talk about a paradigm shift!
I copped licks by rewinding cassettes over and over and over. I still learn solos that way--except with mp3s. Great stuff!

I remember that guy, Troy Grady who put that series together. He had that super high speed camera and was doing things like filming Frank Gambale, Steve Morse and other high speed players and watching frame by frame their hand movements and was cross correlating all the similarities. Cool stuff.

That's awesome! I can totally relate. I had a couple Metal Method lessons, and I remember that one exercise he was playing. I had posters of Eddie and Randy on the wall. And then... Yngwie came along. Talk about a paradigm shift!
I copped licks by rewinding cassettes over and over and over. I still learn solos that way--except with mp3s. Great stuff!

This had me listening to Trilogy again. Fuck me, that stuff is impossible. :embarrassed:

I learned the exact same way btw. Wore out several cassette players.

I was a Randy Rhoads guy, not that I didn't love EVH as well.

Then, like everyone else, I heard Yngwie :eek: I remember being at the local record store, Crazy Larry's, the day they got a record shipment in. The guy opens the box and knows that I like metal, so he opens a few of the new metal offerings the shipment had and plays a song or two from each one. He got to an album from some band called Steeler, and both of our jaws dropped.

I left the store with that record, the only copy they had received, and have been an Yngwie fan ever since.

I just wish I could play fast like RR, EVH, YJM, etc, but alas, I think some of that speed really is God-given and not able to be learned, and I don't have it :(

It can be learned but I find my speed playing is pretty idiosynchratic. I see videos of Yngwie or Buckethead or Shawn Lane and see exactly what they're doing, but actually playing it is a different story. I have a couple things I can do but I was never all that good at sweeping. Some types of flatpicking and legato I seem to be able to do but the kooky swept arpeggio madness. Oh well, I just use it to spice things up once in a while. The Grady videos have been very entertaining and season two just started, learned some interesting things to try.

Very loosely related, but having watched this again I think these are some really good lessons on a few tricks. Gave me a few good ideas at least. :embarrassed:

I loved listening to all that stuff, but even though I respected all the practice and the skill needed for the guitar playing, it wasn't for me. I was more of a song guy. I would learn the rhythm parts and vocals/ The leads I wanted to play were by guy like the Smithereens, or Brian May or Santana, etc.

I bought every Van Halen album, but I hummed the melodies.

Back