Could you see yourself spending $400+ on tuning machines?

We know. Can't take it with you, Gary.

Idk. It's preference. Some people would rather have twenty $300 dollar instruments, others would prefer one $6000 instrument. Both approaches have their pros and cons.

But I've never bought an expensive instrument that I didn't spend a lot of time with playing.

That would make a great poll question!!!

If I had the choice, give me the $6000 instrument.

Waverly tuners are amazing. I'd actually like a set on my next McFeely, but I think sticking with locking tuners is a better bet. I might upgrade the Grovers on my Martin to Waverly at some point though.

1978501_3899383138528_1792733811_o.jpg

10003677_3899381018475_794045645_o.jpg

For me it is budget and ear. I can't afford expensive instruments, nor can I discern the difference between a $400 and $4000 instrument. If you are happy with peanut butter, why buy caviar? :grin:

Depends on whether you're making PB&J or oysters and pearls.

That said, your analogy is flawed. It's more like "peanut butter for the rest of your life, or peanut butter and caviar for the rest of your life".

Last edited:
Tuning of mandolins are inherently unstable, as you probably know.

Endorsers basically make three points:

1) smoothness and ease
2) precision
3) you're adjusting your tuning once or twice per set instead of adjusting your tuning between every other song

All three of those are issues that I'm dealing with.

Still, I'm sure that there are alternatives that are effective and expensive without being that expensive.

If they actually did the job and there wasn't anything cheaper then yes.

If they came attached to a mandolin that sold for $450, sure. :embarrassed:

I don't have a mando, and don't plan to get one any time soon. I'm happy with my Schallers, Sperzels, and Grovers, on my guitars, so no need to spend that kind of money on tuners for me.

Well, I don't own a mandolin, so no, I would not buy those. As far as guitars go, I think I'd spend $300 on these before spending $400+ on standard machines.

IMG_8758__90403.1411069896.1280.1280.JPG

No.

But they do come with a 5-piece bluegrass band.

I laughed...

Hey?..What's $400?

Look at it this way...

I paid a lot more than $400 for the braces that I had put on the teeth of my three daughters...

I would splurge if I liked the instrument without a second thought......

YES. I looked at buying some Grover Imperials for my seven string...but got side tracked by other things. Still looking for a good deal.

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE!!!

2.5 months later... I've spent over $600 to put Waverleys on the mandolin and to put Pegheds on my cello, and have been using them since late-November.

I know that it's a "they saw you coming", but hey; it's not like it's a refinish. It's been worth it to me, and I haven't had to deal with the headaches. Those instruments are more fun to own now. Less time adjusting = more time playing.

If I ever explore the period instrument world, and buy a lute or viol or something, I'd go with Pegheds again in a heartbeat. Ditto for something like a sitar.

Last edited:
My wife used Peghed planetary tuners on a Baroque cello she built. She was a reluctant traditionalist at first, but the client ordered the cello with them, so hey. After she installed them we were both completely sold.

Back