Could you see yourself spending $400+ on tuning machines?

Hey, if David Grisman likes 'em, I'll take two sets.

I'll see about getting mandos to put 'em on later.

3) Tuning of the mando was unstable

Tuning of mandolins are inherently unstable, as you probably know.

Endorsers basically make three points:

1) smoothness and ease
2) precision
3) you're adjusting your tuning once or twice per set instead of adjusting your tuning between every other song

All three of those are issues that I'm dealing with.

Still, I'm sure that there are alternatives that are effective and expensive without being that expensive.

Tuning of mandolins are inherently unstable, as you probably know.

Endorsers basically make three points:

1) smoothness and ease
2) precision
3) you're adjusting your tuning once or twice per set instead of adjusting your tuning between every other song

All three of those are issues that I'm dealing with.

Still, I'm sure that there are alternatives that are effective and expensive without being that expensive.

My cheap Mando wasn't that bad. My Eastwood Electric is pretty good and my Ovation is a dream. My guess is the other A and F styles definitely have this big issue.

Sadly I haven't experienced it so I don't know.

I’d sooner buy nice steel tuners for $75 shipped and pay a woodworker $50 to make the pretty ebony knobs.

I'm a cheap bastard.

We know. Can't take it with you, Gary.

Idk. It's preference. Some people would rather have twenty $300 dollar instruments, others would prefer one $6000 instrument. Both approaches have their pros and cons.

But I've never bought an expensive instrument that I didn't spend a lot of time with playing.

For me it is budget and ear. I can't afford expensive instruments, nor can I discern the difference between a $400 and $4000 instrument. If you are happy with peanut butter, why buy caviar? :grin:

Back