Corned beef

Lerxst

spaghetti and blankets
St pat's is only a week out... Time to get the brisket cured

fec804e4e23f97018b268c1fdf06197f.jpg

Half for corned beef on St pat's. Half for pastrami to be smoked next weekend.

Get yourself some good grass-fed bed and grill it proper. Colcannon potatoes, add a rhubarb pie and a pot of Lyons (or Barry's) tea.

I've never prepared/cured my own......

Had a reuben and a Guinness at the Irish pub the other day, though.
:)

Half for corned beef on St pat's. Half for pastrami to be smoked next weekend.

I thought that pastrami was a different cut? I've never made pastrami, but I have a recipe for "pastramied short ribs" that kicks all kinds of ass.

Oh -- and it looks great. I've never tried brining my own corned beef -- you have it marinating for a week?

I have brined brisket for corned beef and pastrami, and they are different. Also tried smoking a corned beef to make pastrami and it just wasn't quite right. We brined for close to a month.

Do you keep it in the fridge during this time?

Yes!

We make the brine, cool it down and put the brisket in double ziplocks and fill with the brine. Put it in the bottom of the fridge and forget it for a month. Fire up the smoker and smoke at ~150 for 12 hours. Cool overnight then steam over beer for a couple hours. Heaven.

I thought that pastrami was a different cut? I've never made pastrami, but I have a recipe for "pastramied short ribs" that kicks all kinds of ass.

Oh -- and it looks great. I've never tried brining my own corned beef -- you have it marinating for a week?

Plate is the traditional cut for pastriami but brisket is commonly used as well. I usually like to go longer but this will be plenty cured in 5 days or so.

http://ruhlman.com/2015/03/how-to-cure-corned-beef/

I have brined brisket for corned beef and pastrami, and they are different. Also tried smoking a corned beef to make pastrami and it just wasn't quite right. We brined for close to a month.

Did you de-salt the corned beef before smoking it? I soak it in water for a couple days before seasoning and smoking, it comes out very good.

Dammit! I'll be out of town (in Madison, visiting family) for St. Paddy's day and won't get my customary corned-beef with cabbage, potatoes, carrots and onions...

Dammit! I'll be out of town (in Madison, visiting family) for St. Paddy's day and won't get my customary corned-beef with cabbage, potatoes, carrots and onions...
Wind up in the philly metro for any reason, swing on by... I'll hook you up

I need to hit up the stores if there are any sales on brisket. I'll probably wimp out and buy one ready to cook. Or just have it a few days late.

Back