Cooking class tonight

tiger roach

Urban Bovine Knievel
Looks like a potentially tasty one:

FRENCH CARIBBEAN FLAVORS(HO7/24/2015)
(For Ages 18 & Up)
HANDS-ON. Enjoy a culinary journey to the Islands as you have a chance to polish your classic techniques and learn to infuse subtle French flavors into these big, bold Carribean dishes:

• Layered Salad of Shrimp & Avocado;
  • Haitian Grilled Fish with Spicy Creole Sauce;
  • Martinique Rice with Crab, Shallots & Chives; and
  • Rum-flavored Mango Mousse.
INSTRUCTOR: Nicole Routhier, Cookbook Author & Cooking Instructor

These are always fun. Kind of like a date night/eating out, except you learn how to cook the dishes.

I always wanted to try a cooking class but never got around to it. That sounds very good..Enjoy!!

My circle of friends does that about me once a month, taking turns hosting a dinner, hiring a chef, sharing the cooking duties, drinking lots of wine, etc. It's usually a great time.

Heh, all the lights in the building went out right when we were peaking. :grin:

Good thing the burners were gas. We finished by candle and phone light.

I have a couple. I need better knife technique though.

There's plenty of videos and charts online that'll show you the proper grip and techniques. Once you get a handle on how to grip the knife and how to hold the food you're cutting, the rest comes along easy. If you cook regularly, knife work is really a fundamental part of food prep & consistent cooking. Working w/ a knife that suits you and is very sharp makes it all so much easier. Maintaining a sharp knife is important to learn too.

But be warned though, once you get used to wielding a big old scary sharp chef's knife, you'll be fustrated with your friend's and family's cooking knives when you cook at their houses.

You may have too many. A good paring knife and chef's knife are all need. Then focus on how to properly hold them, and how to chop.

I have one chef's knife and one bread knife. That is it. I got the chef's knife that Cooks Magazine recommended and love it (Victorinox). I do need to get a good paring knife. The kitchen in my apartment to stupidly small. It forced me to cut way back on what I have in the kitchen.

But be warned though, once you get used to wielding a big old scary sharp chef's knife, you'll be fustrated with your friend's and family's cooking knives when you cook at their houses.

Yeah....I can see that.

I have one chef's knife and one bread knife. That is it. I got the chef's knife that Cooks Magazine recommended and love it (Victorinox). I do need to get a good paring knife. The kitchen in my apartment to stupidly small. It forced me to cut way back on what I have in the kitchen.

I have a few of those from when they were branded Forschner and they're definitely nice knives...especially nice price. The only caveat is that they go dull pretty quick with use. Fortunately, the steel is easy to bring right back up to a razor sharp edge.

Back