spaghetti and blankets
Welp, I've finally sold down to the keepers:

Warmoth Strat
Hofner CT VT
Larrivee OM10
Ac15
and a few pedals

2 electrics, 1 acoustic & 1 amp
I'm not saying I'll never buy anything else or that I'm done drooling over gear here & there. Don't blame anyone who wants a ton of gear. ...damn if it doesn't actually feel good to just have the stuff I play most.

I need to do that.
My problem is that the stuff I would get rid of isn't worth the aggravation of listing it for sale, but most of it isn't dumpster worthy either.

I wondered about that when I set out to lighten the load. Honestly, I was surprised how easily some of my borderline stuff went.

I've been trying to do this for a while. I still have a handful of items to go, too.

I underestimated the amount of time I'd spend doing it (and the other assorted stuff i've been selling off). Between running the listings, communicating with prospective buyers, packing, shipping, meeting CL people, following up with buyers; it's like having a second job.

I underestimated the amount of time I'd spend doing it (and the other assorted stuff i've been selling off). Between running the listings, communicating with prospective buyers, packing, shipping, meeting CL people, following up with buyers; it's like having a second job.
That's why it's taking me so long. I just do a batch at a time.

I need to do it, too. So far, though, I can't say that I have identified the true "keepers." I'm afraid I'd let something go, and then realize it was one I wanted to keep. You know how you haven't played something for quite a while, but then when you do pick it up, it's like a long lost friend.

I need to do it, too. So far, though, I can't say that I have identified the true "keepers." I'm afraid I'd let something go, and then realize it was one I wanted to keep. You know how you haven't played something for quite a while, but then when you do pick it up, it's like a long lost friend.

A. they are all keepers
B. none of them are actually keepers

I know what you're saying....I appreciated all the gear I sold; wouldn't have kept it as long as I did otherwise. But at the end of the day, I don't really have an emotional attachment to most stuff.

A. they are all keepers
B. none of them are actually keepers

I know what you're saying....I appreciated all the gear I sold; wouldn't have kept it as long as I did otherwise. But at the end of the day, I don't really have an emotional attachment to most stuff.

I agree with all that you said, and at the same time, I love exploring sounds. For that reason, as I continue to grow (yeah, I got a late start - at 49) and learn new things, I will reach for a different guitar, and it will become my favorite as I explore the "new." That's when I would miss the guitar that I sold.

Having said that, I am a pastor, and the life of a pastor has to be mobile. I'm afraid I have collected enough guitars, and other music gear, that I would have too many things to make moving easy. Such is the reason that I am seriously thinking about what can stay, and what needs to go.

Back