Considering getting a wah again,

help me choose?

I had a standard Dunlop CryBaby I got used, but ended up selling. I don't use wah much at all yet. But am interested again in getting one. As I recall, I wanted a little more sweep then the crybaby had. Currently, I just have the virtual wahs in my M9, and there is one I tend to like more than the others. It does not click on and off with the expression pedal though, so is not really usable for real.

School me up on your favs!

Apparently, after the whole Vertex Axis wah debacle, the BBE Ben-Wah came out to be an amazing winner after the treadle on the pot was adjusted slightly (totally end-user doable).

The JH-1 is more of a lower range of wah. When you're all the way forward on it, you get some treble, but not a lot to really cut through a band mix. The Snarling Dog has a knob with three options for your sweep range, one of which gets that lower range of the JH-1, and then two more - one that's kind of standard and another that it very trebley.

Let me know if you're interested in either.

The JH-1 is more of a lower range of wah. When you're all the way forward on it, you get some treble, but not a lot to really cut through a band mix. The Snarling Dog has a knob with three options for your sweep range, one of which gets that lower range of the JH-1, and then two more - one that's kind of standard and another that it very trebley.

Let me know if you're interested in either.

I have a Fulltone Clyde Deluxe if you're looking for a "boutique" wah...

Yeah, I don't really know what I want and am not sure what a boutique pedal would do that benefitted me. another friend suggested the Digitech EX-7 because you can adjust that and it has other similar effects you can use. I had the standard cry-baby, and that seemed like it was too on or off in terms of how the pedal worked to me. The M9 modded weeper model seemed better than the regular crybaby to me.

Apparently, after the whole Vertex Axis wah debacle, the BBE Ben-Wah came out to be an amazing winner after the treadle on the pot was adjusted slightly (totally end-user doable).
I've had one pretty much since it came out. Not a wah expert but it sounds great.

Yeah, I don't really know what I want and am not sure what a boutique pedal would do that benefitted me. another friend suggested the Digitech EX-7 because you can adjust that and it has other similar effects you can use. I had the standard cry-baby, and that seemed like it was too on or off in terms of how the pedal worked to me. The M9 modded weeper model seemed better than the regular crybaby to me.
Ok. Then you should just offer me $50 for the Snarling Dog, I'll send it to you. If you don't like it sell it to someone else.

I'm the weird bird when it comes to wahs... I have an old pre-A version Vox V847. I tore it apart, replaced a bunch of resisters with different values, replaced the transistors, put a red Fasel in it, and replaced the pot with a ProPotz. It's got a real throaty, singing tone, now.

I'm sure there's a stock wah that sounds like this somewhere, considering how many variations there are, but I came across what I like by experimentation. If you're good with soldering and following schematics, a wah is a really simple circuit (if it doesn't have a buffer added in). You can tailor things to your liking.

SVL, like you, I'm just playing with my wah right now, rather than being a serious wah user with tons of experience. Having said that, I ran across a used Cry Baby 535Q wah in a local music store. I liked the idea of the being able to dial in different sweeps, because I'm still figuring out what I like in a wah. I would recommend that approach for you, too. If you go used and adjustable, then you can explore what you like, and if you decide to sell it down the road, you probably won't lose much value.

Multiple frequency mods on a wah is a nice feature, and they were some pretty great sounding pedals. Not all wah frequency sweeps sound good with your rig or your ideal wah tone, so it's a bit easier to dial in.

Multiple frequency mods on a wah is a nice feature, and they were some pretty great sounding pedals. Not all wah frequency sweeps sound good with your rig or your ideal wah tone, so it's a bit easier to dial in.
This one has the three switchable "room" modes but not the "testosterone/estrogen" switch. I am actually pretty excited about this!

Back