Considering a Taylor

I resent my Taylor (114 ce?), since it was the guitar on craigslist I could afford the week i needed a gigworthy guitar, but it plays and sounds nice. Tig, what model is that, and is that the standard color? Something cosmetically like that is in my future.
This is a 522e 12-Fret mahogany.

Taylor acoustic model numbers explained:

The First Digit

The first digit (or letter) identifies the Series. Most guitar models within each series share the same back and side woods and appointment package.

516ce = A 500 Series model

The Second Digit

The second digit designates two things:
1. Whether the guitar is a 6-string or a 12-string
2. Whether the top features a softer tonewood like spruce or cedar, or a hardwood like mahogany or koa.

6-String
The middle number will be 1 or 2:
516ce = softwood (spruce) top
526ce = a hardwood (mahogany) top

12-String
The middle number will be 5 or 6:
556ce = a softwood (spruce) top
566ce = a hardwood (mahogany) top

The Third Digit

The third digit identifies the body shape according to this numbering system:

0 = Dreadnought (e.g., 510ce)
2 = Grand Concert (e.g., 512ce)
4 = Grand Auditorium (e.g., 514ce)
6 = Grand Symphony (e.g., 516ce)
8 = Grand Orchestra (e.g., 518ce)
Cutaway & Electronics

If a "c" comes after the number it indicates a model with a cutaway. An "e" indicates a model with onboard electronics.

516ce = model with cutaway and electronics
510e = model with electronics, no cutaway
510 = model with no cutaway, no electronics

I noticed that. My budget forces me to be in the inexpensive model category and probably the reason I landed on the Taylor. I was playing the inexpensive Martins and didn't like them. But the difference between the $600 Martin and the $1,000+ Martin was huge. They had the more expensive ones locked up so I didn't play them. The Taylor 100 series sounded and felt as nice as the $1,300 one I picked up. I know the difference is solid back and sides vs. laminate but to my hands and ears there wasn't a difference.

Side note: it seems like the new marketing word is "layered" back and sides. I suppose that sounds fancier than laminate?

The deal for me is I don't make my living musically so with guitars its about what I get excited to play. I like the Taylor enough that I have even thought about running back over to GC to play it while I'm waiting for my other guitar to sell.

And as for the Taylor sound, I was determined that I would hate it because I hear it described as bright and I tend to like warm tones, probably because I don't play in a band and don't need to cut through anyone else. But I didn't find them overly bright, just more articulate. The way I describe it is when I play a chord I can hear the low E string whereas on the inexpensive Martins I couldn't. And thanks for the feedback.

I have a complicated history with Martin, in that I love a lot of their guitars but find them ridiculously priced for a "good" one. My Collings is modeled after the D-28, but is closer to what Martin currently offers as a D-28 Authentic, and actually cost less than the Martin! It was more than the standard D-28, but that guitar is a shadow of it's legendary status. Martin is capable of making some incredible guitars, but they generally end up in the higher tiers and artists models... the regular production models are just shy of the price range where you can get into some excellent small shop builders, so you're really paying for the Martin name. But when I bought my Martin Custom 0MH-15 I picked it up and just knew it was right for me, but it wasn't a regular production model, just a small run they did for Gruhn.

Taylor OTOH, has me won over with their GS Mini line and for someone that plans on gigging at a lot, a 3xx-4xx Taylor is a stellar choice. Their 1xx-2xx models still have that signature Taylor voicing and plugged in you won't really hear a difference between the more expensive ones; it's more about feel.

I LOVE my taylor for playing out live

20141011_151546_HDR.jpg

No loud enough for playing around a campfire.

And now I've played the Martin GPRS1 which is a solid sepele "grand performance " shape in their Road Series. Every time I pick one up I'm drawn to it. Ugggh.

And now I've played the Martin GPRS1 which is a solid sepele "grand performance " shape in their Road Series. Every time I pick one up I'm drawn to it. Ugggh.

Just got a DRS2 and love it. Serious bang for the buck. Check it out. My 3rd Martin.

Just got a DRS2 and love it. Serious bang for the buck. Check it out. My 3rd Martin.

I guess I forgot to update this thread but I ended up finding a used Martin that I couldn't pass up. I'm drawing a blank on the name but I think it is Custom D. It is a GS/MF exclusive that is based on their 15 line and is mahogany back and sides with spruce top. It sounds amazing and plays fantastic after I got it set up. I apparently love the "Martin sound".

I have a complicated history with Martin, in that I love a lot of their guitars but find them ridiculously priced for a "good" one. My Collings is modeled after the D-28, but is closer to what Martin currently offers as a D-28 Authentic, and actually cost less than the Martin! It was more than the standard D-28, but that guitar is a shadow of it's legendary status. Martin is capable of making some incredible guitars, but they generally end up in the higher tiers and artists models... the regular production models are just shy of the price range where you can get into some excellent small shop builders, so you're really paying for the Martin name. But when I bought my Martin Custom 0MH-15 I picked it up and just knew it was right for me, but it wasn't a regular production model, just a small run they did for Gruhn.

Taylor OTOH, has me won over with their GS Mini line and for someone that plans on gigging at a lot, a 3xx-4xx Taylor is a stellar choice. Their 1xx-2xx models still have that signature Taylor voicing and plugged in you won't really hear a difference between the more expensive ones; it's more about feel.
I’m not an acoustic guy, but your Collins is bar the best sounding and playing acoustic I’ve ever played or heard.

I guess I forgot to update this thread but I ended up finding a used Martin that I couldn't pass up. I'm drawing a blank on the name but I think it is Custom D. It is a GS/MF exclusive that is based on their 15 line and is mahogany back and sides with spruce top. It sounds amazing and plays fantastic after I got it set up. I apparently love the "Martin sound".

HNGD

It is all about finding the guitar that speaks to you. :wink: Congratulations!

I have a D18 that I love. But the guitar I play most often is a Taylor 314e. It's brighter than the Martin and easier on my fingers.
I have a Taylor GS Mini and a Big Baby. They're both nice guitars as well.

Congrats on the Acoustic!

In the end it is about finding and buying the acoustic that really speaks to you. Unfortunately for me, I have owned two hand made acoustics and played literally 100s of top of the line acoustics over the years. I have a sound and a feel that is what I am after, and unfortunately my budget no longer includes those guitars. Taylors are not my thing at all. I'm with Andy as far as Martins go - I've played a few that were wonderful and they were pretty much all high end artist models or top of the line production models.

Congrats on the Acoustic!

In the end it is about finding and buying the acoustic that really speaks to you. Unfortunately for me, I have owned two hand made acoustics and played literally 100s of top of the line acoustics over the years. I have a sound and a feel that is what I am after, and unfortunately my budget no longer includes those guitars. Taylors are not my thing at all. I'm with Andy as far as Martins go - I've played a few that were wonderful and they were pretty much all high end artist models or top of the line production models.

I'm not a good acoustic player but for some reason wanted something new. I was looking at "better" acoustics than I had but still affordable. This guitar is on the lower end of Martins and in fact is probably the lowest end of their American made lines. I wouldn't have spent the $1,000 - $1,100 it runs new but a local guy was selling it for $400 and it was basically unused and included the case so it was a no brainer. As a bonus, I love the sound and after a setup I love the way it plays. I still would have preferred a smaller bodied guitar from a comfort standpoint but it sounds so good I don't think I'd want to sacrifice that big sound for the smaller body any more.

Fortunately, I'm not that great a player and thus haven't played any high end acoustics. I already want too many things I can't afford.

It took me 50 years to get to the place where I felt my ear could justify spending money on a "good" acoustic. I am glad I did it, but just as glad that I waited.

I'm not a good acoustic player but for some reason wanted something new. I was looking at "better" acoustics than I had but still affordable. This guitar is on the lower end of Martins and in fact is probably the lowest end of their American made lines. I wouldn't have spent the $1,000 - $1,100 it runs new but a local guy was selling it for $400 and it was basically unused and included the case so it was a no brainer. As a bonus, I love the sound and after a setup I love the way it plays. I still would have preferred a smaller bodied guitar from a comfort standpoint but it sounds so good I don't think I'd want to sacrifice that big sound for the smaller body any more.

Fortunately, I'm not that great a player and thus haven't played any high end acoustics. I already want too many things I can't afford.
I am FAR from a good guitar player, let alone a good ACOUSTIC player, but none of that mattered to me when I was holding my Taylor and trying to convince myself NOT to buy it...

I didn't buy it BECAUSE it was a Taylor, I bought it because regardless of the price and regardless of my abilities I knew I was never going to be as happy playing another guitar as I was playing that one...

All that matters is that the guitar you're playing makes you happy...brand name, price, and features are secondary to the experience you have...

Back