Considering a Taylor

Johnny N.

Kick Henry Jackassowski
For the last few months I've been thinking about a new acoustic and based on what I like, that would surely be a Martin. Actually, the only reason I was thinking that is I discovered the X-series and thought that would be the one way I could afford a Martin.

I also wanted a smaller bodied guitar so the 000 or whatever the next one up is (Grand Performance or something) what I wanted. Can't find the GP anywhere but found the 000. Played it once and thought it was really nice but it was the only one I played. Played it again recently and didn't love it. Seemed a little dull sounding. So I kind of let it out of my mind for a while.

Then recently I got invited to a friends house to play acoustic with these two guys. I've never done it before so I was sweating it but it turned out great. Fell back in love with playing. So I stopped back in and played that Martin again. Liked it even less. Grabbed a Taylor 114E and loved it instantly. Put it down and strummed everything else in the store, including nicer Martins. Came back to the Taylor and loved it. So easy to play, sounds great, and that body size is perfect.

So bottom line is I'm going for it. In fact I think I'm going to sell everything off and change out the acoustic to the Taylor and also get a new electric and an amp.

:cool: That's what I did. I played several guitars in different stores and one was clearly the best sounding. It was more than I wanted to spend, but it was worth it in the long run.
I play it every night.

upload_2017-7-26_17-10-42.jpeg

Yup...that's my exactly story as well. I played everything I could find. I really thought I'd like the Martin....nope. Definitely thought I'd love the Gibson...nope.
Then I tried the Taylor....winner, winner....chicken dinner
I got the 516CE...
e201886567b87ae9032052fa9d01fec1.jpg

Yup...that's my exactly story as well. I played everything I could find. I really thought I'd like the Martin....nope. Definitely thought I'd love the Gibson...nope.
Then I tried the Taylor....winner, winner....chicken dinner
I got the 516CE...
e201886567b87ae9032052fa9d01fec1.jpg
I played a 510ce at the factory a couple years ago and fell instantly in love. Didn't have the dough at the time, though. Then, last year, I happened upon a used 210ce in absolutely pristine condition for a steal, so I snagged it. I'm very happy with it.

I played a 510ce at the factory a couple years ago and fell instantly in love. Didn't have the dough at the time, though. Then, last year, I happened upon a used 210ce in absolutely pristine condition for a steal, so I snagged it. I'm very happy with it.
Ive never played an acoustic that sounds so BIG and clear. Not to mention it's loud as hell too.

My general Taylor purchasing advice is to find the most inexpensive model that plays and feels great, then jump on it. The Taylor sound isn't going to change too terribly much from series to series, unless you're jumping $1000+ at a time.

My general Taylor purchasing advice is to find the most inexpensive model that plays and feels great, then jump on it. The Taylor sound isn't going to change too terribly much from series to series, unless you're jumping $1000+ at a time.
That's good advice. Their cheapo models are crap. But once you get over $1,000, they all sound damn good.

I hear lots of good things about them, I hear Bob Taylor is super cool too. Not that I would know or anything, but it's what I hear.

I just called the factory this afternoon, in fact. I restrung mine with 10s; now there's a buzz on the low E string. Obviously, it just needs a truss rod tweak, but I'm too scared of fucking shit up.
I asked if they could recommend a tech, and they said just bring it down to the factory--we'll take care of it.

I resent my Taylor (114 ce?), since it was the guitar on craigslist I could afford the week i needed a gigworthy guitar, but it plays and sounds nice. Tig, what model is that, and is that the standard color? Something cosmetically like that is in my future.

I just called the factory this afternoon, in fact. I restrung mine with 10s; now there's a buzz on the low E string. Obviously, it just needs a truss rod tweak, but I'm too scared of fucking shit up.
I asked if they could recommend a tech, and they said just bring it down to the factory--we'll take care of it.
PM me and I'll get you in touch with the "right guy".

I noticed that. My budget forces me to be in the inexpensive model category and probably the reason I landed on the Taylor. I was playing the inexpensive Martins and didn't like them. But the difference between the $600 Martin and the $1,000+ Martin was huge. They had the more expensive ones locked up so I didn't play them. The Taylor 100 series sounded and felt as nice as the $1,300 one I picked up. I know the difference is solid back and sides vs. laminate but to my hands and ears there wasn't a difference.

Side note: it seems like the new marketing word is "layered" back and sides. I suppose that sounds fancier than laminate?

The deal for me is I don't make my living musically so with guitars its about what I get excited to play. I like the Taylor enough that I have even thought about running back over to GC to play it while I'm waiting for my other guitar to sell.

And as for the Taylor sound, I was determined that I would hate it because I hear it described as bright and I tend to like warm tones, probably because I don't play in a band and don't need to cut through anyone else. But I didn't find them overly bright, just more articulate. The way I describe it is when I play a chord I can hear the low E string whereas on the inexpensive Martins I couldn't. And thanks for the feedback.

Back