Help! Confounded by this Harmony Vocal.

OGG

Master of the Meh
Argh! I'm not sure why, but I am really struggling here. I usually have a knack for instantly latching onto a harmony part and being able to duplicate it. This song is driving me crazy. It's like I just can't "hear" it well enough.

I let the drummer take lead vocals on this one because he really wanted to. I sort of regret that now. I don't think I've ever had a harmony elude me until now.

Curse you Finn brothers!

I am especially perplexed at the "to build a wall between us" part. WTF?

That harmony is kind of all over the map in three subtle junctions for sure..

Maybe listening to it live??

Did you get anywhere? There are definitely some octave vocals going on in the chorus.

I think I got the part driving you nuts. It won't do you any good, but it's very doable. Awesome song by the way. The Finns write really well.

Did you get anywhere? There are definitely some octave vocals going on in the chorus.

I think I got the part driving you nuts. It won't do you any good, but it's very doable. Awesome song by the way. The Finns write really well.
Yeah, the main harmony is a full octave lower "Hey now". It's that last line that just baffles me. It's almost a double with a slight shift down towards the end. I just can't seem to really hear enough of it. I would kill for an isolated track of that part.

You may be able to find a decently tracked midi file online, load it into your daw and isolate the vocal tracks. That way you can see the actual notation.

Taking for granted someone that knew what they were doing programmed the midi. It's a very well respected song, so you have a good chance.

Just texted you (what I believe to be) the line of which you speak.

Reactions: OGG
Hey man

Have you tried headphones, one side then the other? Sometimes tough ones can picked out easier on a different system, even your car's stereo can open things up.

I can hear the part you're struggling with. It's the "Hey now" that's getting me because I think there's more than one harmony, or like Dave said, an octave or two in there as well.

Back