Confessions of a Balding man, 8 hours of Steven Seagal and Being broke

DdBob

Dogue in teh desert
These are all great reads especially the being bald one...

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/confessions-of-a-balding-man

Because there seem to be only a few paths to deal with hair loss. You can fight it and take hair-loss drugs like Propecia ,which makes your dick stop working, forcing you to ask yourself what is a more important part of your masculine identity, your vanity or your sexual proclivities. Then there is the tight shave where you shear it close to the scalp. This is the power move and is the territory of movers and shakers: stock brokers, athletes, and Jason Statham. People who dominate fate, the ubermensch who says, "You can't de-hair me Time because I never wanted hair in the first place. It was weak, and I am strong, and now stare upon my gleaming blackstar of a head and tremble as I calmly sip on this strong espresso and contemplate hedge funds."

Then there are those who manicure and groom the sides of their heads, crafting a perfect ring like a puffy altar around their bald spot. This is the worst look. I call these men "death worshippers." This is the move of craven sycophants and petty, cruel sadists. This is what Stephen Miller will be rocking when his hair loss is complete.

The final move is the "I'm going to let this shit ride." This is when you don't panic. You keep the hair short because at a certain point in the balding process the longer your hair the more you look like you just escaped from some sort of government lab. But you don't treat it any different. You don't shorn your head; instead you honor your remaining strands, letting them remain on the top of your head in all of their pitiful glory. This is the look that says, "Life is suffering, and I now understand this and submit to it, and in submission I have found freedom."

You can also wear a hat.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/what-i-learned-from-watching-eight-hours-of-steven-seagal-movies

On Deadly Ground (1994)
  • The creative misfire. Seagal directed this box office flop and instead of giving his audience what they wanted he indulged in moral philosophizing about environmentalism, violence, and the nature of man (seriously). Seagal plays firefighter Forest Shaw who discovers the shady practices of the oil company that employs him, is informed by an Inuk elder that he is a bear spirit, goes on a vision quest, and then ends the movie with a monologue and montage that decries corporate destruction of the environment and calls the internal combustion engine obsolete. Seriously, this movie is bonkers, like An Inconvenient Truth if Al Gore knew how how take apart a handgun.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/the-harsh-reality-of-being-broke

Extra money? Sure I could put it toward building a stable life and future, but I want pot and beer right now.

It's this compulsiveness and lack of discipline that has left me in the dire financial straits (talk about money for nothing) that I'm in today. Desperately waiting on every check in growing panic, sinking further and further into debts both institutional ($35,000 in student loans, $15,000 to the bank, $800 to my phone company) and personal ($1,200 to my ex, $200 to an aunt) and with no real plan or hope to pay any of it back. I used to be able to counter the mounting terror and disgust for myself with hippie platitudes, "Money is an illusion, man, meant to enslave us," or "You're an artist dude, you're after something bigger than money," but this self-administered bullshit has left me spinning in place, calcified, broke, and wearing the same pair of self-made jean shorts far too often. The reality of being an adult with no money and the lack of opportunity and freedom it causes has become too pressing to ignore. Here's a brief list of things that I'm finding are nigh-impossible with no money: looking good, having sex, maintaining friendships, having hope for the future

Back