Confession: I have never owned or even played through a Tube Screamer.

When I first tried them in the 80's, I didn't care for them. I was playing metal and that is the wrong pedal to use for that style. Come forward to the 90's when I became not so engrossed in heavy gain, the pedal became cool and usable. Come to the 2000's and playing tribute bands, hey this pedal is perfect for getting just a hair over the top drive. Late 2000's to present. Perfect for what I do now. Just enough gain push the amp over and ride the volume knob. Stack them with other boxes and use for a boost to drive the other pedal. Stack TS pedal's, whow, Rod Price type tones using an SG and Slide.

It is all in the application people!!!!

If you are looking for heavy OD or Gain, it will not work for you. If you look at is a boost with some hair, perfect.

Never had a green machine proper, but my first distortion pedal back in the 80s was an Ibanez "Metal Screamer". Not much info out there about them now, but as I understand it, it was basically a Tube Screamer with a bit more sizzle. It wasn't bad, it had plenty of gain to make my JC-120 sound teh br00talz. I don't remember when or why I parted company with it, but I do remember it getting relegated to being a benchwarmer in favor of my first RAT.

Once in a while I enjoy using my Digitech Bad Monkey, which is a screamer copy with a better eq. It can be fun. And I like to stack it down stream of a distortion as it fattens the sound.

It was my first pedal, that I got from ebay or craigslist for like $25, right around the time this video was made and posted by my old friend Robert.

Once in a while I enjoy using my Digitech Bad Monkey, which is a screamer copy with a better eq. It can be fun. And I like to stack it down stream of a distortion as it fattens the sound.

It was my first pedal, that I got from ebay or craigslist for like $25, right around the time this video was made and posted by my old friend Robert.

His production values (and playing) are so much better these days.

Back