Concerts - Favorite of 2016 and Looking Forward To 2017

Last Friday I checked the Grandaddy tickets I'd bought earlier this year to see when the show was.

It was last Wednesday. :facepalm:
You are too young for that, Charles.

I put these things on my Google Calendar, right along with my class schedules and client schedules.

I will be there - ticket purchased. I am in the balcony though. GA was sold-ed out.

Fantastic! I'm in section 201, right in the front of the balcony. Would love to hang! I think once the concert gets going, security gets fairly lax, so you can probably go down to the floor if you want. Me and my crew are going to grab dinner around 6 or so at Elm City Social, a restaurant a couple of blocks away, if you're interested.

Fantastic! I'm in section 201, right in the front of the balcony. Would love to hang! I think once the concert gets going, security gets fairly lax, so you can probably go down to the floor if you want. Me and my crew are going to grab dinner around 6 or so at Elm City Social, a restaurant a couple of blocks away, if you're interested.
I'm in 206, back row (by choice). You can't miss me, I'm the 6'6" mostly blind guy with glasses and in dire need of a hair cut. Come say hi!

I guess I'm late on this, but APTBS are LOUD. Like if you don't bring earplugs, God help you, loud.

Looks like I wont make it after all. Bummer...

Sorry you didn't make it! If it helps, I'll lie and tell you it was an awful show.
IMG_9368.JPG

I guess I'm late on this, but APTBS are LOUD. Like if you don't bring earplugs, God help you, loud.

Thanks for the heads up. I always bring plugs, and actually brought enough for my whole crew. APTBS were very loud, and put on a great show.

Sorry you didn't make it! If it helps, I'll lie and tell you it was an awful show.
View attachment 32315

Thanks for the heads up. I always bring plugs, and actually brought enough for my whole crew. APTBS were very loud, and put on a great show.
Awesome. I have seen them five or six times since 2000 and they always put on a great show. I'll have to catch the next one.

I am a huge and long time fan of Oliver - both the Death By Audio pedals and A Place to Bury Strangers. I first saw them at the old Seaholm Power Plant for Austin Psychfest 2010. Back when that event was way cool.

While their recordings don't tend to feature the lengthy noiz-freqout jams of the live show, I find myself liking all of it as a connected whole: the insanity with the strobe lights and the sequencers, the drone-y recordings. Hits something at a deeper level than the usual.

As far as the Lips, first saw in 1988 and, well, I've been there and done that probably dozens of times. They're usually at least good, and great at times.

Would love to hear any further details of the show you'd like to share.

Awesome. I have seen them five or six times since 2000 and they always put on a great show. I'll have to catch the next one.

Keep an eye on the schedule for College Street. They have a lot of great acts come in, and I could easily meet you there. Lots of good places to eat nearby too.

I am a huge and long time fan of Oliver - both the Death By Audio pedals and A Place to Bury Strangers. I first saw them at the old Seaholm Power Plant for Austin Psychfest 2010. Back when that event was way cool.

While their recordings don't tend to feature the lengthy noiz-freqout jams of the live show, I find myself liking all of it as a connected whole: the insanity with the strobe lights and the sequencers, the drone-y recordings. Hits something at a deeper level than the usual.

As far as the Lips, first saw in 1988 and, well, I've been there and done that probably dozens of times. They're usually at least good, and great at times.

Would love to hear any further details of the show you'd like to share.

This is only my second time seeing the Lips. The first time was a couple of years ago in a much larger venue. It wasn't well sold, and you could tell the band was having a hard time keeping the energy up. It wasn't a terrible show, but it wasn't great either. College Street is a much smaller venue, and very well-suited to the size of their production. The setlist was:
  1. Race for the Prize
  2. Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, Pt. 1
  3. There Should Be Unicorns
  4. Pompeii Am Götterdämmerung
  5. What Is the Light?
  6. The Observer
  7. How??
  8. Space Oddity
    (David Bowie cover)
  9. Feeling Yourself Disintegrate
  10. The Castle
  11. Are You a Hypnotist??
  12. The W.A.N.D.
  13. A Spoonful Weighs a Ton
  14. Do You Realize?? (encore)
The show was downright fantastic. I would have liked to hear a few more cuts off the new album, but I realize some of that stuff may be hard to pull off live.

APTBS was intense. You're right, their live show is a different experience from their recorded stuff. I really dug it a lot. They are not afraid to go out on a limb at all. It was noisy, but they were never not musical. Their drummer is a beast. I think she's new to the band, as most of the pics I've seen of them have a guy playing drums. I'd love to see them in a club setting. I hope they come back around here. Here's a bad iPhone video I took of one of their jams:

Can't watch the vid at work, but I really appreciate the post. For a few reasons (among them Psychfest being cancelled this year), it's likely to be a while until I get to see shows again (maybe Temples this Sunday .... maybe ....).

I hear you on the Lips and energy -- when I've seen them in recent years I've felt "OK, that's nice, but ..." This is pure old-fart-syndrome, but 'you shoulda seen 'em when ... '

They were legit great, esp. around the time of Hit To Death. Those songs were more up-tempo, and lent themselves to a raucous club atmosphere/live setting really, really well. "Pyschiatric Explorations," "Halloween On The Barbary Coast," "Hit Me Like The First Time" .... I brought people to those shows as a sort of religious sharing. I have a friend who is a long time successful indie artist who still occasionally smiles at me and says "thanks for taking me to that Lips show." That show was in 1993, the Christmas Lights era. I have my issues, and music has always been the one reliable pyschoactive medication for me - I recall Lips shows in the 90's refilling my tank for months at a time. They were make-you-weep glorious.

Perhaps predictably, "Soft Bulletin" lost me. I wasn't wanting soft from them, even though I appreciated what a good album it was. It's like when the Talking Heads went from Speaking In Tongues to Little Creatures. Nothing wrong with the latter, but geez, I missed the former.

I still miss the Flaming Lips that made Transmissions From the Satellite Heart.

Morning Jacket just announced a handful of Summer East Coast dates with Gary Clark opening. Prolly try to take in the Raleigh date.

Can't watch the vid at work, but I really appreciate the post. For a few reasons (among them Psychfest being cancelled this year), it's likely to be a while until I get to see shows again (maybe Temples this Sunday .... maybe ....).

I hear you on the Lips and energy -- when I've seen them in recent years I've felt "OK, that's nice, but ..." This is pure old-fart-syndrome, but 'you shoulda seen 'em when ... '

They were legit great, esp. around the time of Hit To Death. Those songs were more up-tempo, and lent themselves to a raucous club atmosphere/live setting really, really well. "Pyschiatric Explorations," "Halloween On The Barbary Coast," "Hit Me Like The First Time" .... I brought people to those shows as a sort of religious sharing. I have a friend who is a long time successful indie artist who still occasionally smiles at me and says "thanks for taking me to that Lips show." That show was in 1993, the Christmas Lights era. I have my issues, and music has always been the one reliable pyschoactive medication for me - I recall Lips shows in the 90's refilling my tank for months at a time. They were make-you-weep glorious.

Perhaps predictably, "Soft Bulletin" lost me. I wasn't wanting soft from them, even though I appreciated what a good album it was. It's like when the Talking Heads went from Speaking In Tongues to Little Creatures. Nothing wrong with the latter, but geez, I missed the former.

I still miss the Flaming Lips that made Transmissions From the Satellite Heart.

That sucks that Psychfest got canceled. I hope it's not permanent.

That sucks that Psychfest got canceled. I hope it's not permanent.

Not sure what I hope; we went every year from 2010 and IMO it was so much more fun as a smaller event. Nothing against Carson Creek as a venue (about as good as it can get for a big outdoor event), but when it was small ....
* the performances were more intense
* there were no idiotic 23 year olds compulsively checking out everyone checking them out
* the musical lineup was more interesting

The Black Angels transferred the ownership to a company that was more oriented towards scaled profit and it changed. Not saying I didn't enjoy it, but those shows in 2010-2012 had some insanely magical moments.

Back