Concerts - Favorite of 2016 and Looking Forward To 2017

So as a combined birthday (night one: indoor seats and premium parking pass) and mother's day (night two: lawn seats, regular parking) gift I took my wife to see Dave and Tim (Matthews/Reynolds) for their two night stint at SPAC (Saratoga Performing Arts Center, Saratoga Springs, NY). This is where we first heard Dave as the opening act on the main stage at the 1994 H.O.R.D.E. show. We're big fans of Dave's and he's my wife's favorite singer. We prefer the whole band, but we're good with Dave & Tim.

So, they were phenomenal. Almost three hours, no opener, 28 songs each night, no songs repeated, and Tim keeps blowing me away. Tim does two solo tunes per night to give Dave a breather. They were great each night, but Night 2 he did an instrumental solo guitar take on Peter Gabriel's In Your Eyes that was just stunning.

That said, the lawn was not an ideal experience. It was fine, great even, when we were in college and our twenties, but my aging bones with knees of someone much older...rough. The lawn became a SRO situation, not shocking, but we enjoyed the choice that the indoor seating provided. Interestingly there were tons of college age kids and twenty-somethings, as well as a smattering of high school age students. For an artist that hasn't officially released any new recorded material in five years I'm surprised that he's able to continue to grow a younger audience. But people getting too close, having no respect for any notion of personal space, spilling beers (and other drinks), and po-theads!!! Po-theads EVERYWHERE!?!?! Standard stuff, but I was definitely feeling the old man "STAY OFF MY LAWN!!" for our little area. I've never been huge of GA barring the SPAC lawn, but if the artist is too "big" or their fans are too whatever, the experience changes drastically.

The biggest problem was nearly everyone singing along to EVERY song. I love Dave, his music, and his voice, which is why I came to see the show. I didn't come hoping that he'd be nearly drowned out by the audience on every freaking tune. Actually, we could hear him more clearly from the lawn that we could inside, but they really just needed to turn them up on both nights. Sound management needs to be a multiple person job for big artists and big gigs. Get out there during the show and note how things are when the house is full and make the necessary adjustments. Really though, the Dave & Tim thing is better in smaller venues (i.e.: smaller crowd/audience). The wife and I saw them at DAR in DC and the Olympia in Dublin this past March. Both equally great shows.

Dave's voice was strong both nights, but he seemed more jubilant on Night 2 (for whatever that's worth). Fifty six songs and we could have heard 56 more if he wanted to play them. Turns out they performed 73 different tunes during the tour...damned impressive in general, but all the more in an age when the vast majority of artists learn a set of about 15-20 songs and perform that same set every night...maybe adding and dropping a few here and there.

Saw 54-40 and Randy Bachman on Tuesday.
Last minute thing.
My brother in law bought seasons tickets to Art Park JUST so he could see this show.
His daughter in law went in to labour on Tuesday morning. So they spent the day at the hospital waiting for their first grandchild.

Security issue (K9 bomb scan hit on a speaker on stage) delayed the start by almost two hours, but both bands played - supposedly their full sets- and just rolled through into encores without pause. The town waived the 10 pm curfew.
And it rained. We booked out with about three songs left to go. Worth it. Bachman was kind of sucking.
54-40 was awesome.

Going to see Brian Setzer next Tuesday.

But before that, this is my Saturday.

IMG_5531.JPG

Fates Warning tonight!!! DANCING-banana

I've been a fan since 1989, and have never seen them live.

They have Bobby Jarzombek on drums now, for the last two albums/tours. Bobby Jarzombek is a monster drummer :)

Well crap, no Theocracy concert for me tonight :( I can't fall asleep. No way in heck I'm driving to Chicago on no sleep. And I only had about 3 1/2 hours of sleep yesterday. If I tried to make it, I'd bet anything my eyes would start drooping and I'd have to pull over somewhere.

Oh well, the ticket was only $12. Never ate a concert ticket before, but there's a first time for everything.

I finally fell asleep at 3PM (2 PM Chicago time) and slept 'til about 8:30.

I'm just so pissed I had to miss Theocracy, I've been a fan since 2008 when they released Mirror Of Souls, and their 3rd album, 2011's As The World Bleeds is close to being in my top-10 favorite albums. There is no way I would've made it the whole night without zoning out, so it's a good thing I didn't attempt it, but dang :( Theocracy doesn't tour very much. This tour is pretty small. They've never come as close as Chicago before, so it was my best chance ever to see them, and I blew it :(

So..just saw TOTO at Hamar tonight (a little over an hour from where I live).

And it was fecking brilliant. I know lots of peeps in here hate their hits in particular, but they really are a whole other monster live.
Luke was on fire throughout the show and Joseph Williams is one hell of a singer.

And Lenny Castro, man. Now there's a proper percussionist. :embarrassed:

Saw Queen w/ Adam Lambert in Dallas last night. Great music. Lambert was a bit of a disappointment to me because I would rather he just go ahead a sing (which he does fantastically). He seemed to want to push an agenda with certain comments and actions last night. I know it is his platform, but I just wanted singing and playing. I know "get over it". :thu: No huge deal in huge scheme of the evening.

But all in all , great show. Brian and Roger still have it in spades.

Last week I saw Peter Asher and Albert Lee together for an acoustic set. Tons of great stories about The Everly Brothers and The Beatles.
20604728_10213524137717368_1707382018970631259_n.jpg

This week I saw JD Souther. Had his gorgeous Ida Jenshus with him. She's a huge star in Norway apparently. A fabulous singer and a good guitar player as well.

20638845_10213524142277482_7238486114860865564_n.jpg

Last week I saw Peter Asher and Albert Lee together for an acoustic set. Tons of great stories about The Everly Brothers and The Beatles.
20604728_10213524137717368_1707382018970631259_n.jpg

This week I saw JD Souther. Had his gorgeous Ida Jenshus with him. She's a huge star in Norway apparently. A fabulous singer and a good guitar player as well.

20638845_10213524142277482_7238486114860865564_n.jpg

Yep, Ida is quite well known over here. Talented lady for sure. :)

Going to see Japanese Breakfast in October. Might see Frankie Rose that same week or a tribute to Nico's Chelsea Girl performed in a cemetery.

Will probably catch a show or two between now and then, but no plans yet.

Saw Rancid and Dropkick Murphys last week. They both kicked ass. One hell of a show.

About a week ago I bought a ticket to see Haken near the end of August. I guess they are playing the entire 'Visions' album (their 2nd) on this tour.

The ticket site said 10-14 days to receive the ticket, so hopefully it will come in time. And hopefully I will get that night (Wednesday night) off work. I Still haven't gotten my vacation day confirmed. If it isn't, I guess I'll call in that night :embarrassed:

Back