Concerts - Favorite of 2016 and Looking Forward To 2017

speakerjones

my hat is all
What was the best concert you went to this year? Any you have booked or are looking forward to next year?

I think Wilco was my favorite concert this year. I got to see it in one of my favorite local venues and they played a fantastic set. Gov't Mule was a really good show, and Dinosaur Jr. didn't suck at all either.

So far, in 2017, I'm going to see Cloud Nothings in February in the city and Flaming Lips locally in March. A couple of shows people are trying to entice me to go to include Red Hot Chili Peppers in Boston, and Mountain Jam, which is a festival in NY featuring Gov't Mule, Tom Petty, Steve Miller, Gary Clark Jr., and a bunch of others. White Denim is in the lineup, and I'd love to see them, and it would be cool to see Tom Petty, but otherwise...meh. My buddy is doing it up, getting an RV, VIP tickets and the works, so it will end up being a $1k weekend at least. I have no doubt it will be a fun time, but not sure I want to shell out that kind of dough for a lineup I'm kinda meh about.

What about you guys?

Morning Jacket at Lockn was the shit!!

Really looking forward to this gig in May.

image.jpeg

My 2 favorites from '16 were Wilco at Constitution Hall and the Drive-By Truckers at 9:30 Club. I don't really have any shows set in stone for '17. I am planning on All Them Witches in March, maybe Son Volt at the 9:30 Club. Me and one of my friends are thinking about heading to Solid Sound this summer. That would freaking rock.

My 2 favorites from '16 were Wilco at Constitution Hall and the Drive-By Truckers at 9:30 Club. I don't really have any shows set in stone for '17. I am planning on All Them Witches in March, maybe Son Volt at the 9:30 Club. Me and one of my friends are thinking about heading to Solid Sound this summer. That would freaking rock.

I always end up having something else going on the same time as Solid Sound. Maybe I'll make it this year. It's only a couple hours away from me too. If you do end up going, let me know. I'd love to meet up.

Wow! That's quite the lineup. I've driven to Philly for concerts before...

I've heard MMJ is a really good live act. I've never really gotten into them beyond some singles, though I really like Jim James as a producer, and some of his other projects.

I'd expect some dates in the Spring/Summer. Highly recommended!

Come hang out with us in Philly, tho!

2016:
DMB @ Bristow, VA
Peter Gabriel & Sting in DC
Stand w/ Standing Rock show at DAR in DC

2017:
Dave & Tim @ Olympia Theatre in Dublin in March.
...nothing else on the docket at this point.
Hopefully Wolftrap has some good shows (they usually have quite a few) that we can get to this year (the bigger issue).

Last edited:
I always end up having something else going on the same time as Solid Sound. Maybe I'll make it this year. It's only a couple hours away from me too. If you do end up going, let me know. I'd love to meet up.

If we head up, I'll let you know. Funds will be tight this summer for me with buying our house, but my wife is pushing me to go. She says I never take a vacation so I should do it. My buddy is kind of a flake sometimes. He has been bugging me about going since I told him about it 2 years ago, so who knows.

2016:
DMB @ Bristow, VA
Peter Gabriel & Sting in DC
Stand w/ Standing Rock show at DAR in DC

2017:
Dave & Tim @ Olympia Theatre in Dublin in March.
...nothing else on the docket at this point.

Don't call it Bristow, its freaking Gainesville or Manassas. :grin:

I didn't go to a ton of shows, but the Nightwish show I saw this past February was really good. The best Nightwish show I've seen yet, and that was the 4th time I've seen them. The two times I saw them with Anette singing they were really good, but this one was better :embarrassed:

Also, the Kansas 40th anniv. of Leftoveture show was absolutely excellent, probably the best Kansas show I've seen too (out of 4). Even with all the new members, they just killed it and had excellent sound.

Only one show for 2017 that I know I'd really like to go see, and that is Amorphis in March near Detroit. One of my favorite bands and I've never seen them live.

Alice Cooper, Tears For Fears, and Tommy Emmanuel were my 2016 highlights.

Also, not a concert, but The Book Of Mormon was fantastic.

Nothing yet lined up for 2017.

I only saw a handful of shows this year but I enjoyed the ones I attended.

Rickie Lee Jones
Kim Richey
Rusted Root
Alabama Shakes
Dawes
Booker T's Stax Soul & Blues Revue
Stephen King & George R.R. Martin
Big Head Todd & The Monsters
Eric Idle & John Cleese

Only show I caught this year was Bonamassa, which was OK.

I really want to see Setzer again - he is hinting at a Stray Cats tour. If that doesn't happen, I hope he does the Rockabilly Riot tour. Worst case scenario would be the BSO 2017 Christmas tour, which would not be a bad thing, either :wink:

The only one I tried to attend was canceled. Rock shows start late in Denver, and if a headliner can’t go on by 10:embarrassed:0, I’m not interested.

Back