Concert report - George Thorogood and the Destroyers

bsman

b00b
At Montalvo Arts Center in Saratoga, CA (an intimate, outdoor venue with great sound). Setlist:

Rock Party
Who Do You Love
Help Me
Night Time (Strangeloves)
I Drink Alone
House Rent Blues/One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer
Cocaine Blues (Cash)
Gear Jammer
Get a Haircut
Bad to the Bone
Twenty Dollar Gig
Move it on Over
Born to be Bad

For a 67-year old guy, he expends a fair amount of energy onstage and clearly still enjoys what he does - even after all these years. Shockingly, his band still has the original core (Jeff Simon on drums and Billy Blough on bass) from back in the 70s, and they were tight. He played about the first half with a black ES-125 (P90) and the second half was slide with a white ES-125 (P90) and the tone (especially in the latter half) was crude, obnoxious, raucus and wonderful.

Overall, while certainly not the best concert I've ever attended, the energy was good -- he related well to the crowd (and everything was wireless so he made several excursions into the seats) looked like he was enjoying himself, and everyone had a good time. Also -- important for a weekday concert -- it started a bit before 7pm and ended a bit after 8:30; perfect for an older guy who has to go to work in the morning!

Yeah, I wondered how that show would be. I last saw George open for, and blow away, ZZTop at SJSU back in the early 90's. Sounds like you had a good time.

I have always considered Thorogood as a really good bar band who got lucky. But I have consistently heard that they bring it live. Sounds like a great show!

I have always considered Thorogood as a really good bar band who got lucky. But I have consistently heard that they bring it live. Sounds like a great show!

I think that's his whole schtick. He was playing nasty R&B-infused blues at a time when that was distinctly out of favor - well after the glory days of Cream, etc. I think he's always been rather out of phase with the music industry, and it's interesting that he's managed to have a career without bending to the flavor-of-the-moment and been able to remain true to his roots.

Saw George several times. Blew the Stones off the stage in Boulder,CO, 81? maybe. Saw him last year and he doesn't have the same energy he used to have. So many great album tracks he never plays live. Also, audience maybe a notch below the Nuge's audience for sheer douchiness, First time I ever saw females booted from the venue.

Last edited:
Back