Computer building types...some questions.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Prages, Dec 27, 2010.

Dec 27, 2010
  1. Prages User Error

So, I find myself with some gig money and some Christmas money, and a new video editing software that will do exactly what I want, but an antiquated computer that won't allow me to do it very well. :weebz:

I was trying to run the software on my laptop, which is a newer machine, and faster, more powerful than my desktop, but it still goes very slowly and makes working with the video a bitch.

So, I was thinking about upgrading my desktop.

Right now it's a 2.6 ghz Pentium 4 with 1.5gb of RAM. I was thinking about upgrading the motherboard and CPU to something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121458

Getting this RAM package:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820145315

I already have the power supply, hard disc, DVD writer, etc. I also think I have a seperate firewire card, though I may have to buy one of those too. The ones on my current PC are the multi-card things...I don't know if I'll be able to use those or not.

So, I've never done anything this in-depth with rebuilding a PC before. I mean, I've added PCI cards, swapped hard drives, and changed/added memory.

Anything I really need to be aware of before I spend $400+ on my computer?
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  2. Dec 27, 2010
  3. FenderPusher Beardcore Apologist

Look at www.tigerdirect.com for parts too, as long as you're sure you'd rather keep your existing machine than build a new one. RAM and processor are definitely the most important pieces to the equation in terms of home recording, then it's the bus speed on your motherboard and the other components such as sound card/firewire/interface that you already have.
  4. Dec 27, 2010
  5. Aahzz Habanero Evangelist

Did you build the machine you're currently using, or is it a brand name? If it's brand name, the case might not be compatible, a lot of them use proprietary from factors. Mounting motherboards can be less than fun, but isn't difficult, as long as the case is a standard form factor.
  6. Dec 27, 2010
  7. mattburnside ***hole. Major ***hole.

Just be aware that you will have to reinstall the operating system. There isn't a single version of Windows that likes having its motherboard changed.
  8. Dec 27, 2010
  9. jelloman R.I.P. Terry...

OK...here's what you need to do...

determine the following on your present system...

power supply wattage and version...should be ATX12V...if it's not at least 550 watts and ATX12V it probably won't be powerful enough or compatible with the mobo...

is your case ATX form factor...if not the mobo won't fit...

do you have a video card and is it less than 2-3 years old...if yes OK, if no then you'll either need one OR you need a mobo with onboard video...the one you have selected does not...

check the intel website for the mobo of your choice and find the list of compatible memeory...and then select one of the listed units...DDR3 has many diffeerent timing factors and using a non-compatible memory stick MAY cause some issues...
    http://www.cmtlabs.com/mbSearchResu...=Intel&sMN=DH55HC&sSortField=&iPg=2&sDetails=

then get back to me...
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  10. Dec 27, 2010
  11. Prages User Error

Both good things to know.

My current system is an old Compaq. And, since I don't have my OS disc, it looks like upgrading to Windows 7 might have to happen too. :facepalm:

Maybe I'll just spend a little more and get a whole new computer instead. :facepalm:
  12. Dec 27, 2010
  13. Aahzz Habanero Evangelist

Also, what operating system? 8 Gigs if RAM is only useable if you're going to the 64-bit version of Windows 7. If you are, you probably want to check compatibility with your Audio and Video packages before going there - 64-bit sometimes has some quirks....
  14. Dec 27, 2010
  15. Prages User Error

You've all talked me out of it. :weebz:
  16. Dec 27, 2010
  17. Aahzz Habanero Evangelist

And, my second question was posted while other people were posting things :)

I'd go with a whole new box.
  18. Dec 27, 2010
  19. jelloman R.I.P. Terry...

...um...yeah, good idea...
  20. Dec 27, 2010
  21. Aahzz Habanero Evangelist

22. Dec 27, 2010
  23. Prages User Error

I might brave the crowd and go to Best Buy today to see what they've got. :weebz:
  24. Dec 27, 2010
  25. Aahzz Habanero Evangelist

I think that's a plan :)
  26. Dec 27, 2010
  27. Missed this until now. All good advice above... carry on..

I used to upgrade the guts in my computers all the time and then it just got to a point where it made more sense to get all new.
    Every piece of technology would advance and drop in price faster than I could track - and it used be my job to keep track of this stuff.

Even going with new, pay attention that your software is compatible with whatever OS you're going with.
    There are ways to tweak Win7 to work in compatible mode, but some apps just don't like that or even recognize those settings because they want to go right to the hardware.
    These days, those apps are just not a good thing, but they still exist and are still required.

For stuff like that, I try to repurpose an old PC for just that app. and lately I've been playing with virtualized machines and installing the old OS' as virtual PCs. That way I can use a fairly beefy machine and run several things at once - each in their own little cocoon of an OS.
  28. Dec 27, 2010
  29. Mrs.P The Wonder Wench

THANKS GUYS! :mad:

He just went and bought an all new computer! You butt-heads are going to be the death of me! :mad:

:D
  30. Dec 27, 2010
  31. Prages User Error

Just got back from Best Buy. Merry Christmas to me. :weebz:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell - ...4487.p?id=1218240956566&skuId=1244487&st=dell i580&cp=1&lp=3

Got that and a Firewire PCI card to run my Firepods. Now comes the agonizing months of trying to get my audio stuff working properly. If it doesn't, I'll still have my old PC for that. I really just needed more juice for video editing, and this one matches or beats the recommended specs of the software.
  32. Dec 27, 2010
  33. Prages User Error

But...but...I called and cleared it with the boss before I bought it.

And I bought you A-Team while I was there. :weebz:
  34. Dec 27, 2010
  35. Chihlidog n00b

That's a pretty nice machine actually. Youre still at a bit of a disadvantage if you want to upgrade depending on the motherboard they used, but the specs on that one are plenty for what you want to do .

EDIT: 2 pciexpress slots, you should be good to go.
  36. Dec 27, 2010
  37. Prages User Error

It should beat the shit out of my 8 year old Compaq Presario with a 2.6 Ghz Pentium 4 processor. At least, I hope it does.
  38. Dec 27, 2010
  39. Mrs.P The Wonder Wench

:p