compressor question

Chad

Slender Hobbit
So I am struggling to get a good output balance with my drive/clean sound. My drive pedals sound better with the volume on them up a bit, but this makes them way louder than my clean signal. If I were to place a compressor after my dirt pedals, would this help getting the volume evened out?

yes, but then it would kill your dynamics. Drive pedals will always sound better a little louder than the clean sound but I don't think they need to be THAT loud unless you are driving the amp with the pedal and are able to roll the guitar volume back to clean them up.

yes, but then it would kill your dynamics. Drive pedals will always sound better a little louder than the clean sound but I don't think they need to be THAT loud unless you are driving the amp with the pedal and are able to roll the guitar volume back to clean them up.

I'm working on this now. Using the volume, I can clean up my OD and dime it to get some killer oscillation/feedback.

I'm trying not to be a rube and play with the guitar rolled up all the time.

upload_2015-7-13_10-44-20.png

Dynamics :lol: have you heard me play?

:grin:

Maybe I will do some more knob tweaking first.

Never put compression after drive unless you want noisy, squeely, lifeless tone that lasts for days.

Hate to be Captain Obvious, but have you considered using a compressor to boost the clean tone instead?

Never put compression after drive unless you want noisy, squeely, lifeless tone that lasts for days.

Hate to be Captain Obvious, but have you considered using a compressor to boost the clean tone instead?

I am trying to avoid hitting 2 pedals at once. If I do that, I would have to kick it off when I went to dirt.

@Chad - Best way to get a balance is to run two amps: one for clean and one for drive. If you can't do that, you will have compromise on your sounds. You asked me once why I run three gain pedals, it is just for these types of reasons. I don't run the gain pedals full out but less than half way. I then Cascade them to create the different textures. Lots of variation and then add in your guitars volume/tone and pickup combinations. Opens up a huge world of tonal variation.

Back