Compression. Who uses it?

profgalen

Helper
I typically don't use compression on my board. But I do like the kind of comp (sag) I get from a tube rectifier like my Vibro Champ's glorious 6 watts cranked.
6bf737c41cd189b1fac68d15858ee98f.jpg

I've found that the optical comp built into my Damage Control Liquid Blues pedal can get that sound very well set to about 3 o'clock. The problem is this pedal is to damn big to be practical on my board. It also requires it own dedicated power supply.
f3464d9bd016f38b6882162524857e51.jpg

This pedal sound best with the nuclear boost engaged and the clarity (clean mix) turned up past noon. I do wish Strymon would reissue these, but it ain't gonna happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I just realized this pedal has a foot switch out. All I need is a TRS type double FS (Vox?) and I could hide the monster behind my amp and control it remotely. Hmm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've always had a compressor on my board until this year and I was never really using it except for country-ish lead stuff....

I have a Maxon 109 that I absolutely love. It's optical.

I've read gearheads say that it's subtle. I don't know -- never compared it to anything else. I just like how it keeps my cleans from being too spiky and lets me get artificial harmonics with less distortion. I hardly ever turn it off.

I've always had a compressor on my board until this year and I was never really using it except for country-ish lead stuff....
Yeah. I've used a MXR Dyna Comp and an Aphex Punch Factory at different times mostly for country type stuff. But I'm talking about the kind of comp you can get from a tube amp with a rectifier tube. What people call sag. Any pedals that can do that?

Yeah. I've used a MXR Dyna Comp and an Aphex Punch Factory at different times mostly for country type stuff. But I'm talking about the kind of comp you can get from a tube amp with a rectifier tube. What people call sag. Any pedals that can do that?
You might look into something like the Wampler pedals that emulate tweed amps. :shrug:

I have a Maxon 109 that I absolutely love. It's optical.

I've read gearheads say that it's subtle. I don't know -- never compared it to anything else. I just like how it keeps my cleans from being too spiky and lets me get artificial harmonics with less distortion. I hardly ever turn it off.
My Aphex Punch Factory was optical. I've always found that to be better and more musical. I guess subtle describes that well.

I love compressors. Just bought one, post coming soon. I grew up on The Byrd's. Lots of treble and plenty of compression is a sound I love.

My Aphex Punch Factory was optical. I've always found that to be better and more musical. I guess subtle describes that well.

On a recording, I don't think anyone could tell whether I had it turned on or off. When I'm playing, though, it just "feels" better. The guitar responds more like I want it to.

I use compression for country, funk comping and soft type chim type guitar sounds. With adding my electric mando, I use it on that as well.

My THR amp has a virtual rack compressor.
I'll be damned if I can figure out what all the knobs do.
What the fuck is a "knee" anyway?

I used a DBX 160 in line to a BluTube preamp back in the day before I used any pedals. Punched the tone up nicely.

I had an Analogman clone of an Orange Squeezer on my board when I was doing more country. It squashed the fuck out of the dynamics, but it sounded really nice with my rig. I haven't really used one other than that. I have a Klon clone "always on" towards the front of my board right now that does a little compression, I think.

I used to run a pair of MXR Dyna Comps... One set to mild and the other maxed out pushing the other for screaming fast sensitivity during some shredding. You had to be on top of your game to handle this... Vol pedal was nice to have.

Now, I just use what the GT8 has to offer... You can gang them up using this modeler, kind of like I did above...
Use it sparingly of course...but when you lock and load, you need to be skilled at handling this awesomeness....

LOVE ME SOME COMPRESSORS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: OGG

I'm just a basement player with way too many toys for my skillset. Please correct me if I'm out of line or full of shit. IMO, a compressor sounds best/helps balance sound with Fender single-coil guitars, esp. Teles into Fender type amp circuits. If I'm playing into a Marshall or using a Les Paul, I don't find it changes or helps much.

I use a Keeley compressor, had a MXR Dyna-Comp which I didn't like as much and gave to my cousin.

I'm just a basement player with way too many toys for my skillset. Please correct me if I'm out of line or full of shit. IMO, a compressor sounds best/helps balance sound with Fender single-coil guitars, esp. Teles into Fender type amp circuits. If I'm playing into a Marshall or using a Les Paul, I don't find it changes or helps much.

I use a Keeley compressor, had a MXR Dyna-Comp which I didn't like as much and gave to my cousin.
I'd agree with you for the most part. Its bad to fall into "THIS only works with THAT" kind of thinking though. Sometimes doing things the wrong pay pays off too.

I use compression pretty much always. At least to some extent anyway.

Sometimes as a subtle boost to the signal, sometimes for that ultra - punchy 80's clean tone, sometimes for hellacious sustain on high gain solos, and everywhere in between.

It's an easy thing to over use. Very easy.

Knowing what they do and how they do it goes a long way in deciding how and when to use it, and towards what end.

I use compression pretty much always. At least to some extent anyway.

Sometimes as a subtle boost to the signal, sometimes for that ultra - punchy 80's clean tone, sometimes for hellacious sustain on high gain solos, and everywhere in between.

It's an easy thing to over use. Very easy.

Knowing what they do and how they do it goes a long way in deciding how and when to use it, and towards what end.

regarding the ultra-clean 80's tone..... I'm always looking for advice on how to sound like Andy Summers on the first 2 Police album, have a Deluxe electric mistress.

any suggestions really appreciated.

Back