Coffee guys, any of you tried the Aeropress?

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
It looks like it would be similar to a French press, but easier on the clean up afterwards.

I haven't had a French press since I broke my little glass one when it slipped out of my fingers when I was washing it :(

Looks good, but it also looks like way too much work for most days.
We have a Keurig for convenience. Granted, it doesn't make coffee just the way I like it, but it makes it fast with a minimum amount of work.

I have one as does Punchy, IIRC. It's much different than a french press in that you use a fine grind and you force the coffee through a paper filter so it's a 'cleaner' cup in terms of flavors and body since you don't get any sediment.
There's various techniques you can use to brew with it too. I'll frequently use it inverted and do a small-regular cup with little to no added water. My wife prefers to use it more coffee americano style like probably demo'd in your video I didn't watch.

Edit: it's great for single cup brewing or occasional two cup brewing. Any more than that is a bit of a PITA.

Looks good, but it also looks like way too much work for most days.
We have a Keurig for convenience. Granted, it doesn't make coffee just the way I like it, but it makes it fast with a minimum amount of work.

THIS! with a Kuerig though I only use the reusable filter cup, those prepackaged cups are too damn expensive plus you're kinda limited on what brands and style coffee you can buy.

I just do manual pour-over myself, but several friends have aeropresses - they make good coffee; definitely more espresso-like than a french press, like lerxst says. good way to have a decent espresso in the middle of the wilderness when camping, or that sort of thing!

You know I use Mr. Coffee and dual filter it. I put in a paper filter and then a screen filter and set it to extra strong. There's not sediment and it's not bitter; I like it black.

I have a Melitta #2 cup and simply pour hot water onto the grounds and wait for it to filter. Simple, cheap, and works for me.

Keurig is fine if you aren't into coffee that tastes good.

Flame...I've been into coffee since you were playing dodgeball in preschool. I used mail order coffee beans in the mid mid 1990's, I know good coffee. Kuerig is a good product, even better if you using freshly ground beans in the gold filter which most people don't do.

I just do manual pour-over myself, but several friends have aeropresses - they make good coffee; definitely more espresso-like than a french press, like lerxst says. good way to have a decent espresso in the middle of the wilderness when camping, or that sort of thing!

Have you seen the "handpresso" ? I've been curious about that thing but it's more expensive

It looks like it would be similar to a French press, but easier on the clean up afterwards.

I haven't had a French press since I broke my little glass one when it slipped out of my fingers when I was washing it :(

That seems to be a it over doing it with the process.
I think once you get the hang of what you like, you could do away with the scale, and maybe the stirring.
Get it down to "put in the ground coffee, add water, let it sit for a bit, and press" and I might be more inclined.

I use Tassimo now. When it dies, I think I'll switch to Kuerig and go with the reusable screen filter. As DdBob says, you can then use whatever coffee you like.

That seems to be a it over doing it with the process.
I think once you get the hang of what you like, you could do away with the scale, and maybe the stirring.
Get it down to "put in the ground coffee, add water, let it sit for a bit, and press" and I might be more inclined.

overdoing the process is the very nature of coffeegeek culture; engineering precision and scientific method meet your morning cup of joe.

None of the precision is really necessary but the aeropress does require brief stirring to get all of the grounds dispersed in the water.

Never tried an aero press, though one of my friends swears by it. I stick with grinding my own beans and a drip pot. IMO, it's the beans that make the most difference, not the method.

Never tried an aero press, though one of my friends swears by it. I stick with grinding my own beans and a drip pot. IMO, it's the beans that make the most difference, not the method.

Depending on the coffee you're using. Beans, brewing method & grind all can have a pretty substantial influence on the cup. We usually brew using either the Aeropress, a French Press or a Chemex. Depending on the coffee/roast, I'll tend to favor one method over the others to deliver the best cup for that coffee. I'm roasting & brewing a different bean each week so there's a lot of coffee gear on the move in my kitchen. If you're rolling folgers or charcoal roast levels, not so much.

My current apartment has an absolute dearth of counter space so I have no coffee machines. I had a french press but, like jbird I broke mine. I picked up a really cheap contraption that fit on top of a coffee cup and has a fine mesh 'filter' that I use for pour over. It works just fine. I'll hopefully have more room after I move to my new apartment but I don't know that I'll invest in anything else too soon. It works great for me.

Well, I went and bought one from Bed, Bath & Beyond. Works great and cleanup is super easy.

My Black & Decker single cup coffee maker has been giving me problems. It still works and brews coffee, but for some reason the little plug at the bottom of the reservoir keeps popping out during brewing, which shuts off the brewer immediately. So I then have to open the lid, get a knife or fork or something and then pop the plug back into place. Not the easiest thing to do since you cant see it with the water in the reservoir, and the fit of the plug is tight. And it will pop out several times brewing a 12 oz. cup. The B&D has lasted me for years with no problems, but it seems like it's brewng with more pressure lately, hence the plug popping out all the time.

Anyways, on to the Aeropress. I'm not sure I care for the smoother, less flavor that having a paper filter gives you after years of using the B&D (plastic mesh filter) or using a French Press or Bialeti. And it only makes at maximum an 8 oz. cup, and not the 12 oz. I used with my B&D. Also, I was using medium grind with the B&D maker, and now have to grind the beans much finer to get a better cup of coffee with the Aeropress. Other than that it's a great little device, clean up is way easier than with my old French Press.

I see there are aftermarket mesh filters for the Aeropress, amazon sells them. I may have to buy one.
http://www.amazon.com/MESH-AeroPres...6024175&sr=8-2&keywords=aeropress+mesh+filter

I figured out how to do a bigger, 12.oz cup that works for me and tastes just the way I like my coffee.

I make sure the beans are ground really fine and I use the scoop that comes with the Aeropress and fill it up with a leveled off scoop of ground coffee. I heat up my water then pour it in over the grounds to full (about 8 oz.-worth). Stir it, and let it drip for about 5 minutes. This lets enough coffee to drip thru the filter to be able to add the remaining 4 oz. of water. Add the rest of the water, stir it up again and let it sit for a couple of minutes. Eventually it stops dripping on it's own, then I take the plunger and force the rest of the coffee thru the filter. Since I've been letting it drip on it's own for a bit, the coffee is now luke-warm, so I nuke the now-12 oz. of coffee for a good 30-40 seconds.

Like I said, this way it tastes just like I like my coffee, uses the same amount of grind that I used in my single-cup Black & Decker brewer, and clean-up is easier :)

I have a Melitta #2 cup and simply pour hot water onto the grounds and wait for it to filter. Simple, cheap, and works for me.

Always my favorite option. And cleanup consists compositing the filter/grounds and sticking the cup in the dishwasher. Truly one of the best product designs ever.

Back