Coffee frustrations

That coffee maker is the savior of Pragestock every morning. That and the powerade stuff you guys mix up.

No, no... This is a brand new coffee maker. Maybe 2 weeks old. The old one died on me. I went with simple and cheap again. It has an on/off switch and that's it.

This one is black, though.

My coffee solution is beyond simple: I start with two cups of water boiled up in the microwave, and pour it into one of these:

melitta2.JPG

with a # 2 filter and a few tablespoons of fresh ground harar beans. Works every time!

Oh yeah, I use a V60. Wish I had a better way of adjusting the amount of water that comes out of the kettle, but it'll do. Makes wonderful coffee when you do it right, that's for sure.

I have a 'pour over' thingie, and I don't care for it. It makes a very weak cup of coffee, imo. Unless I'm doing it wrong, which I probably am.

I do like it for making a mix of coffee/hot chocolate. I make a packet of hot chocolate using milk (6 oz.) then in my 12 oz. mug, make another 5 oz. of coffee with the pour-over method. nuke it a few seconds to reheat everything (the hot cocoa get a bit cold waiting for the pour-over to be added), top with whipped cream, and I have a pretty tasty home-made 'mocha' :)

I have a 'pour over' thingie, and I don't care for it. It makes a very weak cup of coffee, imo. Unless I'm doing it wrong, which I probably am.
Most likely, yes. Pour over takes time, which is one reason there are kettles designed specifically for this, with a very long, narrow nozzle. This gives you way more control when you pour, so that you can decide how long the extraction time should be.

It needs time, because just pouring lotsa water on the grounds won't give the water enough time to wet the grounds and get the desired flavour out of the coffee. I made a cup today that was as strong as any French press or AeroPress, and it was using the same amount of coffee and water that I would normally use.

I pour it pretty slowly, I think I may not be used to how the paper filter makes the coffee taste like. I normally make coffee in my Black & Decker single-cup maker that has a built-in plastic filter. Even pouring slowly and trying not to have the water level get above the grounds, the pour over just tastes weak to me idn_smilie

Starbucks needs a separate line for those of us who just want coffee flavored coffee.

I always end up stuck behind 10 people who order all this ridiculous crap that takes five minutes to make. All I want is a large black cup of coffee, it takes ten seconds.

If you need a double half caf skinny Carmel crapacinno with chocolate sprinkles, cinnamon, and unicorn dust...

1.get out of the way

2. Just drink milk, you don't like coffee anyway

3. I haven't had my coffee yet, I might just slap you.

End of rant/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THIS. EXACTLY THIS!

No, no... This is a brand new coffee maker. Maybe 2 weeks old. The old one died on me. I went with simple and cheap again. It has an on/off switch and that's it.

This one is black, though.
I do like the programmable ones. It's nice having the coffee ready to go when you come down stairs.

I'm not much of a coffee snob. Much like wine, the cheap stuff is just fine for me.

I need a better grinder than the shitty blade one I have to use my French Press. But with the right grind, there's no better coffee.

Mrs G orders hers espresso grind (she likes it strong with some grounds in the cup :grin:)from this guy.

http://www.spicemerchant.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi

She says he has good beans, roasts them correctly and grinds immediately before shipping. It takes 1 day for her order to get here from his place.
She says she can't afford a good grinder and it's worth a little extra to get it done right.

I'm beginning to outdated by just using my old drip brewer at home. It ma

Whew, I was beginning to think I was the only one left that still used a simple drip coffee maker. This is pretty much my approach too, but I buy the bags of house-brand coffee from Costco or Sam's.

I use one for my coffee. Folgers Black Silk, extra strong. Definitely not a snob here. Just make it strong and I'm good.

Mrs G orders hers espresso grind (she likes it strong with some grounds in the cup :grin:)from this guy.

She says he has good beans, roasts them correctly and grinds immediately before shipping. It takes 1 day for her order to get here from his place.
She says she can't afford a good grinder and it's worth a little extra to get it done right.
IMO you must grind immediately before use. Once you grind the clock is ticking.

I have no input to your pain. Other than I also choose drip from good coffee houses. The line for froo froo drinks is annoying, but since I am there, I just roll with it.

Here is my new coffee acquisition. I just got a one hand operable Thermos bottle that will fit my bottle cage on my bike I am turning into a commuter. Here it is along with the new rear rack, and the new to me, but gently used, pannier that will hold my laptop and work stuff.

6A8CE120-B433-459B-B06A-5CC1BCC1BF19_zps69zq2ozw.jpg

Happy morning coffee to you! I am looking forward to being able to sip my homebrewed dark coffee with vanilla soy, honey and cinnamon. :)

I do like the programmable ones. It's nice having the coffee ready to go when you come down stairs.

I do this most every day, if I'mnot too drunk

I have to be at work at "X" time?
set the maker to start 90 mins before.
wake up an hour before work, coffee's ready.

and I never EVER waste coffee.
I started today with the shit I made yesterday.

I can' t taste the difference....

I am with you in theory on the grind right when you brew thing, but I like having it ready when I get up too much not to load it up the night before, and turn on the programmable deal. In fact, off to do that right now on my way to bed.

It wasn't worth it to me to pay twice as much for the programmable one, especially since I usually don't drink my coffee until I'm on my way to work, so I can get up with Mrs. P, get her out the door, then start the coffee pot before I take my shower, and it's ready when I'm done.

IMO you must grind immediately before use. Once you grind the clock is ticking.

Rev's got it right. Even with my $10 blade grinder and $20 4 cup drip maker, my coffee went to the next level when I started grinding it myself. At that point, beans and roast are a matter of choice, not quality.

Definitely worth grinding yourself. It's almost like buying chopped onions or other veggies instead of doing it yourself while you're cooking; the basic taste is still there, but you lose a lot of flavour. Of course, it's important to buy good beans, too, so it's a combination of factors that leads to great home brewed coffee.

Back