Coconut water

Actually, if you were to take a bunch of coconuts and sticks and made a huge manlike figure out of it like they do with chestnuts. Then you infuse that figure with life like Pinocchio and have it piss in your mouth. That's what I imagine it tasted like...

Gatorade and other sports hydration drinks have a maximum of 7% carbohydrates, which is relatively low. Some offer "light" versions. Any concentration higher than 7% will sit on your stomach and not replenish the body. Cold water and sports drinks will be absorbed quicker than warm.

I've tried dozens of products over my 30+ years of performance and competitive cycling. Use what works for your body. The harder you push in the heat, the more important the product is. Last Saturday, I spent 1 hour 34 minutes in Zone 4/Anaerobic Threshold (163-175 heart rate for me) in the heat, and my sport drink saved my ass.
Skratch-Labs1.jpg

endurance athletes have died during events from just drinking water. You have to replenish salt in your body. Not that most people ever put their bodies through those extremes, but if you're an athlete then all the sugar in gatorade and similar sports drinks is actually a good thing.

Reactions: Tig
endurance athletes have died during events from just drinking water. You have to replenish salt in your body. Not that most people ever put their bodies through those extremes, but if you're an athlete then all the sugar in gatorade and similar sports drinks is actually a good thing.

we're getting off course here. Cococnut water is what we should be talking about but anyway yeah sugar, salt etc for the athlete (or the roofer, landscaper, etc) You could probably get better sugar from munching on bananas or other fruit, etc but that's not as easy for say a guy on a bike. Then you have the extreme athletes like endurance runners who do 100 miler's which last for more than a day (continuous) but they fuel on pizza, soup, burritos, candy bars, etc, etc also salt tabs ...anyway coconut water is the business, good stuff.

I got into coconut water when I was doing the whole 30 diet. Prior to that and I tried it, and thought it was the most horrible thing bottled for human consumption. Like dirty water, bottled from a river, downstream from a farm. After being on the whole 30 for a while and not drinking anything sweet, it actually tasted good. I don't buy it on the regular, as it's pretty stupid expensive. I'll grab one in the store sometimes though, if I'm really parched.

Reactions: Tig
Back