Help! Classic Player '72 telecaster Custom

bsman

b00b
I have been interested in the Fender '72 reissue for a long time. I owned an original between 1976 and 1979 -- long story short, I sold it to help get money to pay for my wedding (We're still married, so I guess it was a good investment :wink:). Anyway, has anybody out there played both? Is the new one a reasonable facsimile? I realize that the neck pickup on the new one is more of a "PAF"-type than the CuNiFe on the originals, but if it sounds good...

So -- is it a decent guitar, or will I be disappointed if I get one?

MX17831147-body-large.jpg

The pickups in the new ones are ok. Get them re-wound or be prepared to spend significantly on a cunife replacement.

I had a tele custom in mocha about the same time, 77 I recall. I wish I didn't sell that guitar, but I was 13, so, that's my excuse. My stepdad had, and still has a '72 deluxe, and it's stock.

Anyway, I've played the reissues, and they're OK. Not the same and not a substitute.

Get the Guild.

I had a tele custom in mocha about the same time, 77 I recall. I wish I didn't sell that guitar, but I was 13, so, that's my excuse. My stepdad had, and still has a '72 deluxe, and it's stock.

Anyway, I've played the reissues, and they're OK. Not the same and not a substitute.

Get the Guild.

That mocha is one of my favorite Fender finishes.

Interesting "apples and oranges" comparison between the Guild and the Tele...not sure what you're looking for from them but you certainly won't be getting the same thing...it seems to me, from the way you're considerations are swaying, that your doubts about the Tele overrule your desire for the Guild...

...get the Guild, leave the Tele for another time...

Guild Starfires are great guitars. The current Tele Customs, like the Current Tele deluxes are good guitars, but they don't play and sound like the ones I remember trying out back in the day. Just keep that in mind.

Back