Christmas/New Years/Holidays Menu Thread

tiger roach

Urban Bovine Knievel
Whatcha doin?

Christmas Eve we are having a few friends over, I'm going to do Texas barbecue rather than regular holiday fare:
  • brisket (smoked overnight on the BGE)
  • smoked sausage (can get grilled up while the brisket is resting)
  • green beans with bacon
  • twice-baked potatoes
  • home-baked potato buns (for sliced brisket sandwiches)
  • margarita ice cream

Turkey
Ham
Green beans
Potatoes.
Probably squash.
perogies, maybe
Kielbasa
Cranberry jelly from a can. I get it out of the can in a way to make sure it still looks like a can, and then slice it.

For snacks, we’ve got a bunch of different cheeses, salami, and stuff like that.
I’m sure there will be taco dip and spinach dip. They’re kind of staples at any of our family gatherings no matter the occasion.

I was wondering what to make for Christmas.

Then I wandered into a local King Soopers (Kroger) and they had Rib Eye roasts marked down to $4.50 a pound. Score!!

Christmas eve is just Mrs D and me so I'm making us Katsudon (Japanese pork cutlet bowls). Though Mrs D will get a chicken cutlet bowl since she does not eat most pork.

BOOM!

IMG_3213.JPG

Maryland style crab cakes for dinner tonight
Scratch bagels for breakfast tomorrow
Brisket & tres leches cake

Undecided on the sides for tonight and tomorrow

Christmas Eve supper at mom-in-law's:
Ham &eggs

Christmas day at brother's:
Turkey
Ham
No idea on the side dishes

This brisket is taking forever to finish. It has been in the mid-190s forever it seems like.

Since we are in no hurry, that’s actually a good thing. :)

Christmas eve 1wifes brother came over with his daughter, who is about the same age as 1daughter. We had a bunch of snacky stuff. Baked brie, bacon wrapped scallops, misc. cheeses, salami etc.

This morning we had my apricot cinnamon rolls with salted caramel topping. The best batch I ever made, but Im pretty sure eating 2 of them gave me diabetis.

For dinner we teamed up with our friends in the neighborhood. We had french onion souop, prime rib, ricotta mashed potatoes, and some excellent baconey green bean casserole. Cookies and pie for dessert.

Its been a good 24 hours but I could really use a salad.

Last edited:
FWIW Im now a convert to the "sear last" method of making prime rib. Cook at 200 deg for about 30 or 35 mins/lb. Then crank up to 500 and sear for ~20 mins right before dinner time.

Back