Chorus pedals.

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
i use the chorus in the Möbius for my large board and that works just fine for my needs. My small board has a cheap MXR chorus (the yellow one) that I got for $35 a year or so ago and was fine for teaching classes but now that my small board is coming to school with me for a semester of solid body electric contemporary jazz it doesn't cut the mustard. I've been thinking about the Boss Waza Craft CE2 (which also emulates the CE-1) but I haven't shopped for choruses in a long time since I really do not care for the sound as far as my own music goes. I had an original CE2 back in the Stone Age when you could get them cheap and the CE1 emulation is intriguing to me. I am not looking at $30 Donner pedals and do not get along with most TC Ecetronic pedals other than the Spark Mini. What else is good out there to consider?

Here is the current setup. The Nobels ODR-1 is currently replaced by my mini Tubescreamer.

C1C084CA-9767-4161-9255-F9D066B35ECF.jpg

Still have your Arion?
No. Es muerto. Cheap 30+ year old pedals unfortunately have a shelf life when they are used on a daily basis. I bought the Xotic version of the new one a couple of years ago and hated it. The original ones sounded great and had a warmth to them that the new version didn't, even when modded into a $200 pedal. I really miss my original one. It did a killer fake rotary sound too that would have been really helpful in this setting.

No. Es muerto. Cheap 30+ year old pedals unfortunately have a shelf life when they are used on a daily basis. I bought the Xotic version of the new one a couple of years ago and hated it. The original ones sounded great and had a warmth to them that the new version didn't, even when modded into a $200 pedal. I really miss my original one. It did a killer fake rotary sound too that would have been really helpful in this setting.

The consensus on Talkbass is they can nail the CE-2 sound with the MXR you have, but that it's also more flexible. You may want to watch some shootout videos to see if that's true. I loved the CE-2w I tried. Both TGP and Talkbass say it has less midrange than the old CE-2 did.

Another solution is the CE-2B, though it requires an ACA adaptor. They are cheaper than the CE-2 and the Waza, and it also has a mix control.

The consensus on Talkbass is they can nail the CE-2 sound with the MXR you have, but that it's also more flexible. You may want to watch some shootout videos to see if that's true. I loved the CE-2w I tried. Both TGP and Talkbass say it has less midrange than the old CE-2 did.

Another solution is the CE-2B, though it requires an ACA adaptor. They are cheaper than the CE-2 and the Waza, and it also has a mix control.
I wonder if it would work with the Cioks Adam I have for the small board. My only real restriction is that it fits on that board and can be powered by the Cioks.

I wonder if it would work with the Cioks Adam I have for the small board. My only real restriction is that it fits on that board and can be powered by the Cioks.

In that case, don't mess with it. Go for the WAZA. PGS has a 20% off coupon this weekend.

Last edited:
In that case, don't mess with it. Go for the WAZA. PGS has a 20% off coupon this weekend.
Only for boutique builders though.

I even looked at GC today since they have a sale but not only is it excluded, its only available to buy online and ship to the store.

Only for boutique builders though.

I even looked at GC today since they have a sale but not only is it excluded, its only available to buy online and ship to the store.

There were two coupons last I looked. 15% for boutique and 20% for others. I'm sure if you call MF and ask for 20% they'll give it to you.

Last edited:
Back