Help! Choosing Running Shoes

wok

Unholy Meat Obelisk
is such a pain in the arse :mad:

I did a gait analysis test and I am a neutral runner with a slightly low arch, which gives me a choice of exactly.... ten gazillion shoes.

My current Brooks Green Silence are wearing out, and I am not looking at another minimalist shoe. Anyone have any advice on shoes>

I am currently torn between:

Mizuno Wave Rider 19
118143.jpg

Asics Cumulus 17
asics-gel-cumulus-17-t5d3n-0788-inside.jpg

Asics Gel Nimbus 17
51xmclOttaL.jpg

What say you?

I have used Nikes for centuries, but recently got a new pair of Mizunos (Wave Catalyst). I really like them.

I went to a running shop 4-5 years ago and had my feet evaluated and they sent me home with a pair of Asics. I've been a devotee ever since.

I am a huge fan of Brooks and Hoka - but each maker has their own 'feel' and really you need to try on a bunch and see what works for you since you have already had the gait analysis. I and definitely leaning a lot more towards Hokas now, but those shoes tend to be a 'love them or hate them' brand. And they are not cheap....

Of the ones you listed I would favor the Asics Nimbus...

Last edited:
Back in the 70's people used to run in Chucks, even Rocky did...jus' sayin" :embarrassed: But seriously, I don't run but I think a lot of it is just gadgetry and aquisition syndrome because every hobby need GAS, part of what makes a hobby a hobby. I wouldn't buy Nike (and havent since the 1990's) because I saw in a documentary recently where they dropped Micheal Vick when he got accussed of the dog fighting and then they re signed him after he got out of jail *spits*

as far as running shoes go I got a pair of Addidas approach shoes which are super comfy, what i wear for hiking but I'd wear the Onitsuka Tiger Ultimate 81's. i've had a pair for about 3 years now and easily one of the most comfy shoes ever, plus light weight etc, apparently they are raved about in the parkour world , not that i do parkour cuz I don't but Google tells me so and as an added bonus they look timeless and not screaming with horrendous color schemes :embarrassed:
http://www.flipyeahparkour.com/2012/09/onitsuka-tiger-ultimate-81-review/

Zappos.com Order several pairs you're interested in, send back the ones you don't like. Free return shipping and you have up to a year to return stuff, assuming they're still in brand new condition.

Zappos.com Order several pairs you're interested in, send back the ones you don't like. Free return shipping and you have up to a year to return stuff, assuming they're still in brand new condition.

I am not in the USA cop0

All of my running is trail running and Montrails fit my feet so perfectly I've been able to buy my last five or six pair of shoes completely off the rack or over the net. However, my understanding is that Columbia Sportswear, who bought Montrail a couple of years ago, is re-branding their own shoes and putting the Montrail name on them starting next Feb. So I'm on the lookout for the best deals I can get on Montrails hoping to have a large stash (really only six to ten pairs) before the change takes place.

I did the same thing when the Nike Lava Dome (who remembers those?) was discontinued. Stashed four pairs and wore them until they were all worn out (sob.)

Back