Chili season has arrived

Well just to close the loop, the chili was yummy and enjoyed by all.

One lesson learned - I tried Mexican crema as a garnish in place of regular sour cream. Not bad, but regular sour cream is better.
Glad to hear it turned out well. I'm not a fan of sour cream, so I never use it. (No judgment - I'm all about diversity and inclusion.)

Never tried venison before. Where do you get yours?

As an aside - Think I need a Shiner Bock tonight.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Never tried venison before. Where do you get yours?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

My brother and his family are avid hunters, and usually give us a bunch of nice meat. It is almost wasted in chili though, the spices and long simmer make most any meat seem the same.

Late to thread, but living in NM can't resist.

* Brown ales are great in chili; the extra sugars play with the heat from the peppers.

* Hatch is a town in NM; there is no such pepper as "a" Hatch pepper. "Hatch peppers" should simply denote that a pepper is from Hatch, NM. Which means that if you are in another part of the world, just get fresh peppers. (Aside: if you are a very chile-centric person and wish to import from NM, seek out peppers from Lemitar, which are the locals' preference and goddamn, the locals know their peppers. A bit earthier, more pungent).

* Cubed, man. If you can cook to where the meat starts breaking down, so you have dissolving cubes of meaty goodness, that's the ultimate.

Back