Chili season has arrived

tiger roach

Urban Bovine Knievel
There is a slight nip in the air this morning. Time to get out the big pot and the bold spices, and to shove the beans to the back corner of the pantry where they can't get in the way.

Anyone else look forward to fall for this reason? Beats the hell out of pumpkin spice IMO. :tongue:

My first pot will be Friday night for the World Series watching mini-party, and I have some decisions to make:
  • venison, beef or combination?
  • rough ground or cubed?
  • should I make chili paste from scratch using dried peppers, or use the more tried-and-true method with some good chili powders?
  • what kind of beer to use (both for cooking it and eating it)
I'm leaning towards doing everything the hard way - cubed beef, using dried peppers. So far I haven't quite gotten the spiciness I'm looking for that way, but I want to keep at it until I get it right. I can do all the work Thursday night and then just simmer on game day.

eat0

Reactions: Tig
Agree. Love chili season. I know it's heresy from a Texas chili perspective, but I threw in some andouille sausage into a recent batch. Pretty tasty.

BTW, do we need to start a separate thread about the fact that it's also scotch season?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

There is a slight nip in the air this morning. Time to get out the big pot and the bold spices, and to shove the beans to the back corner of the pantry where they can't get in the way.

Anyone else look forward to fall for this reason? Beats the hell out of pumpkin spice IMO. :tongue:

My first pot will be Friday night for the World Series watching mini-party, and I have some decisions to make:
  • venison, beef or combination?
  • rough ground or cubed?
  • should I make chili paste from scratch using dried peppers, or use the more tried-and-true method with some good chili powders?
  • what kind of beer to use (both for cooking it and eating it)
I'm leaning towards doing everything the hard way - cubed beef, using dried peppers. So far I haven't quite gotten the spiciness I'm looking for that way, but I want to keep at it until I get it right. I can do all the work Thursday night and then just simmer on game day.

eat0

There is only one beer to use -

shiner-bock-beer-texas-usa-10482819.jpg

Reactions: DFB
I'd like to try making some New Mexico chili, but I probably can't find hatch peppers around here :(

I can eat any type of food any time of the day. I can also eat any type of food any time of year. I am glad there are "seasons" because I generally get into food kicks and grow tired quickly. If I let the season spark the introduction of a different food then that's good because I will soon be tired of it and will wait again for next year.

Started my chili last night, it simmered for a couple hours. It'll go back on the stove this afternoon to simmer a couple more hours before we dig in.

Since I didn't have much free time last night and won't today either, I'm using chili powder and already-ground meat (half beef half venison). It'll still be great. Plus when I was getting supplies I got a supply of dried peppers for next time.

Can't wait for this work day to end, chili and World Series is a pretty good way to start the weekend. :cool:

Well just to close the loop, the chili was yummy and enjoyed by all.

One lesson learned - I tried Mexican crema as a garnish in place of regular sour cream. Not bad, but regular sour cream is better.

Back