Chicken & Waffles

I made some this morning :)

While I think the pre-made waffle-coated chicken is made more for just heating up and dipping in syrup, it wasn't bad on top of the waffles. I fried a couple of eggs to go along with it, I was out of bacon :cry:

Yeah, a good home-made fried chicken and fresh waffles would be killer though :)

Is that the original place? I know it's originally from the LA area.

Not a fan of the combo, but it started out as a Pennsylvania Dutch recipe as far back as the 1600's. It popped back up in Harlem in the 30's as a late night snack for local Jazz musicians. The first actual restaurant dedicated to the combo was in LA. Love both separately but just don't get the appeal of maple syrup on fried chicken.

That's right. I use a salty, savory marinade with the chicken, coat it in flour, salt, paprika, and pepper, and fry it in a skillet. Then I just make normal buttermilk waffles and serve the chicken on top of the waffles. I like to pour maple syrup over the whole thing, but some people prefer not to.

I've had chicken and waffles in a lot of restaurants, and people get pretty creative with different types of fried chicken and savory waffles, but my favorite so far is the way I make them.

Why am I only now learning of your culinary skills and such a delicious creation? :eek:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not a fan of the combo, but it started out as a Pennsylvania Dutch recipe as far back as the 1600's. It popped back up in Harlem in the 30's as a late night snack for local Jazz musicians. The first actual restaurant dedicated to the combo was in LA. Love both separately but just don't get the appeal of maple syrup on fried chicken.

It's the other way around...a real CnW aficionado covers it in gravy.
chicken-and-waffles-with-gravy.jpg
e483500ff5b9fc73abedd20e80a55a82.jpg
Sweet+potato+waffles1.jpg

At Roscoe's the gravy is reserved for the chicken, but they don't care if it spills over (although "the weak" pass on gravy or ask for a separate plate)...
Roscoes7.jpg

One late night/early morning, I found myself trapped inside the Pico Ave. Roscoe's while the LAPD shot it out with gang members outside. It's also where I met Shooter Jennings.

Last edited:
I had a semi religious experience dining at Gladys Knight's chicken and waffles place in Atlanta.

I think the original is known as Roscoe's and is somewhere in LA proper.

That's it. That's the only place I've had chicken and waffles. Well, together, that is. There are several Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles locations in the Los Angeles area.

I'm pretty adventurous. I have been to 20 countries total, and like to try new things. But I was a little weirded out with this combination. I just couldn't picture how it would taste. But I tried it and liked it. I'd have it again. It's not my favorite dish, but I wouldn't turn it down!!!!

Back