Cheeseheads Unite!

el diablo

I'll take an A for $1000, Alex.
It's Sunday, I'm smoking/grilling beef ribs and chicken, and while waiting on the magic, I just had a few cheezy snacks. Namely Asiago chunks with rosemary olive oil infusion.

SO? What's your cheese O' choice if any and why?

You "Amurican cheez or die" guys can amuse yourselves elsewhere.slap0

I'm not a stinky cheese kinda guy. I have had a couple of french cheeses that were good. But overall, anything in the bleu family is out. I like a nice manchego or gruyere. Maybe an aged cheddar. Can't go wrong with asiago, romano, or parmesan for the right foods. Same for a fresh mozzarella. And around here, in the heart of Greek town, goat and feta are where it's at.

:thu: "Cheese that smells like people's feet." was a Bud Lite ad IIRC. Funny! The "Stinky Cheese Man" books are pretty effing hilarious for kids and adults, btw.

Manchego is really good. Hell. any cheese is just great. I do like a tart bleu now and again.

I've been on a big muenster kick lately and have also been enjoying a number of different excellent Leicester reds.

pff, amateurs :snob:

290px-Casu_Marzu_cheese.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_marzu

on a serious note, different cheeses for different occasions for me. I love most cheeses, from Roquefort to Mozzarella and your usual 'vanilla' Dutch cheese (Gouda and Edam etc)

I like trying different kinds of cheeses. Lately I have been big on goat cheeses.

My current favorite though is a Frenchie called "Brillat Savarin." It is a very soft and creamy, spreadable cheese. Pretty mild flavor but just a hint of bitterness on the finish to let you know it means business. They don't always have it at the specialty grocer I use for this sort of thing, but when they do have it, I buy some.

I buy cheeses that look interesting at the local grocery store, but I tend to stick to to lighter, creamier types. Every once in a while I'll end up with a real stinker that's hard to get through.

My GF is a brie-head, so I found these planks at a considerable discount, as you can see. I have no idea why the producers expect grilled brie wouldn't just slough off the plank and end up on the heat source, with little left to eat. Somebody got caught up in the planking craze, apparently.
planks.jpg

I love cheese!!!

If I was stranded on a desert island with one food and one drink, cheese and beer would see me through.

Don't like SUPER smelly ones though I am getting a bit more adventurous. I do like the artisan cheeses a lot of places are selling now with stuff mixed in. My personal favourite just now is red hot dutch but I love it at Christmas when the shops and markets have a tonne of different varieties. Last year I got some ridiculously smoked garlic cheese :thu:

I love cheese!!!

If I was stranded on a desert island with one food and one drink, cheese and beer would see me through.

Don't like SUPER smelly ones though I am getting a bit more adventurous. I do like the artisan cheeses a lot of places are selling now with stuff mixed in. My personal favourite just now is red hot dutch but I love it at Christmas when the shops and markets have a tonne of different varieties. Last year I got some ridiculously smoked garlic cheese :thu:

There's a (in)famous cheese shop on Victoria Street in Edinburgh that you can smell from a mile away. If you have never visited it, DO IT!

SO. MUCH. CHOICE :love:

Back