Check your pedals required power draw....

baimun

Funkasaurus Rex
Often times we only think about whether a pedal requires 9 volts, 12, 15, or 18.... but we often ignore the mA worth of draw.

One of my pedals was noisy at my last gig and after some investigation, I discovered that it was wanting 128mA and I was only feeding it a 100mA circuit.

8200931_800.jpg

I then looked up all of the pedals currently on my board, mapped out their voltage requirements and mapped out the following output ports on my Cioks DC10 power supply:

0 - 15 volts, 400mA (400mA jack) - Tonebone PZ Pre
x - unused
0 - 12 volts, 150mA (400mA jack)- Tech 21 Flyrig RK5
x - unused
0 - 9 volts, 60mA (200mA jack) - Gig FX Frampton Wah
0 - 9 volts, 128mA (200mA jack) - Mooer Repeater
0 - 9 volts, 43mA (100mA jack) - Turbo Tuner
0 - 9 volts, 45mA (100mA jack) - TC Spark Boost Mini
0 - 9volts, 9mA (100mA jack) - Wampler Pinnacle Deluxe
0 - 9volts, 8.5mA (100mA jack) - MXR EVH Phase 90

I was surprised at the voltage requirements of the Repeater versus the Pinnacle but I believe that it (and the Tonebone) require the extra voltage to maintain clean overhead. Not required by a distortion pedal.

I have yet to find a power supply like the CIOKS that actually does everything I need it to. This is why I still use a One Spot and separate power supplies for my Eventide Pitchfactor and Foxrox TZF.

Interesting. I run Godlyke on 8 pedals and a Boss power supply thru my Boss tuner on 8 pedals. Silent.

good point!! I doublechecked this a few months ago, made some changes and it sounds a lot better.

reverb and delay pedals draw a lot more than dirt pedals!!

good point!! I doublechecked this a few months ago, made some changes and it sounds a lot better.

reverb and delay pedals draw a lot more than dirt pedals!!

Yeah they do. I bought a reverb pedal off Guitar Heel a while ago and when I got it, it wouldn't work on my Voodoo Labs. I did a little digging and I needed to use a certain spot on the power supply for it to work. Once I switched it, it was awesome.

Cool!!! While updating the wiring for the power cables, I was able to reoganize and optimize my board for my current gigging needs:

538-1462850621-c2c8e472c27f516c059a703730687158.jpg

I'm not using the vocal processor... I'll save that for solo or duo gigs. With 4 people in the band we have plenty of backup singers.

I also figured out how to 86 the ABY pedal.... The signal path goes through the Wah, then the Phaser, the TC Spark Boost, and Mooer Delay. At that point I made a Y cable. If I mute the Radial Tone Bone it stops the acoustic output straight to the board. I can then switch from the T5 to an electric guitar and then un-mute the tuner pedal. So no ABY... I can just open the acoustic floodgates, or the electric, or both. Plus I now have room for the channel switch for my Mesa.

The electric path then outputs from the tuner, runs underneath to the Pinnacle Deluxe, then to the RK5 Flyrig.

The great part about that is I have a boost after the phaser to compensate for the volume drop if I use that pedal, I can use the Pinnacle or Pinnacle + Boost.... and then there's another boost in the RK5 so that gives some different stacking options with boosts at different places in the chain. Then the DLA with tap tempo at the very end before feeding into the Boomerang looper. I can stack all the different boosted/unboosted/clean/dirty/effected/delayed etc.

The only thing I may change is replace the Mooer delay with a Pitchfork Octaver. :helper:

526-1459054251-c6fb9d1f056cd071a2299f7ec0185a3f.jpg

Old arrangement for reference.

Amperage is like horsepower. You can't tell when there is more than you need. But it shows up real quick when you need more than you hav got.

Cool!!! While updating the wiring for the power cables, I was able to reoganize and optimize my board for my current gigging needs:

538-1462850621-c2c8e472c27f516c059a703730687158.jpg

I'm not using the vocal processor... I'll save that for solo or duo gigs. With 4 people in the band we have plenty of backup singers.

I also figured out how to 86 the ABY pedal.... The signal path goes through the Wah, then the Phaser, the TC Spark Boost, and Mooer Delay. At that point I made a Y cable. If I mute the Radial Tone Bone it stops the acoustic output straight to the board. I can then switch from the T5 to an electric guitar and then un-mute the tuner pedal. So no ABY... I can just open the acoustic floodgates, or the electric, or both. Plus I now have room for the channel switch for my Mesa.

The electric path then outputs from the tuner, runs underneath to the Pinnacle Deluxe, then to the RK5 Flyrig.

The great part about that is I have a boost after the phaser to compensate for the volume drop if I use that pedal, I can use the Pinnacle or Pinnacle + Boost.... and then there's another boost in the RK5 so that gives some different stacking options with boosts at different places in the chain. Then the DLA with tap tempo at the very end before feeding into the Boomerang looper. I can stack all the different boosted/unboosted/clean/dirty/effected/delayed etc.

The only thing I may change is replace the Mooer delay with a Pitchfork Octaver. :helper:

526-1459054251-c6fb9d1f056cd071a2299f7ec0185a3f.jpg

Old arrangement for reference.

The reason I like the Mojo Hand FX phaser so much is that it has a level knob. It is great that it has a rate and depth, but it seems like every phaser I have ever tried has a volume drop when kicked on. It is nice to be able to adjust the level.

Cool. I was actually googling different phasers trying to find one with a level boost in it.

It is the Nebula IV. They don't make it anymore, but there are plenty of them on Reverb. They have a new one, but it is a single knob phaser. You can get the MXR sound from it pretty easily, but you don't have to deal with the volume drop.

It more important than just noise. The power supply doesn't know not to try and supply the full 128mA, they'll burn out trying to keep up.

Back