Cheap NPD x 3

Pine Apple Slim

Armchair Expert
Trying out ODs, ordered these 3 Joyos
1. AC Tone. Yea I know it’s not an OD but an amp emulation. Does nice things for the Gretchbuckers in my 5120. Makes everything chimey and gritty. Not as happy with my Tele thru it. Makes everything too trebly and raspy for my tastes. But I can make use of this with my HB equipped guitars.
2. Sweet Baby. Now this is the bees knees, esp with the Tele. I absolutely love it. Beats my Soul Food hands down. This one will def have a permanent place on the board.
3. Hot Plexi. Still in the box. Gonna try this one today.

Overall, the pedals seem well enough built for home use and occasional gigging and not too noisy.
Bargain at 30-35 bucks each.

Cool.

FWIW, if you are looking for that AC Tone sound that works well with your Tele, the Boss Combo Drive is the ticket. Sounds fantastic with my Tele.

The ACTone was just an experiment really. I really don’t need it, although it is nice with the Gretschbuckers. I’m gonna try it today with my Epi Explorer.

Love that Sweet Baby tho!

Ok I tried out the Hot Plexi. Meh, sounds just about like any other Marshally distortion pedal. Really compressed and fizzy unless it’s just barely on. Good if that’s your thing but I rarely play that kind of music but it does a pretty good job with the stack o Marshall’s imitation at low volume.

I’ll let the Hot Plexi go for 20 bucks if anybody’s interested.
I also have a couple of older Dano pedals I’ll let go as well for the same price.

DCBBE2B0-FDD9-4351-BC00-30D27DC2EFE9.jpeg
9B0252CF-947E-410F-99A0-9C350F644FF5.jpeg

Start with the 55. It covers the 5f6 close enough, IMO. Then decide from there. I would think the SFT after that for a different voice.

That was my first instinct.
The 55 for that nasty and juicy Neil Young over the top early Deluxe sound. It should also add a bit of earlier breakup to the Carr Rambler. Since the Carr is basically a Deluxe type tone stack with more clean headroom it should pair really well
From the demos, the SVT seems to nail that Stones thing, which is really great.
I also own a 72 Silverface Bassman Head, and I wonder what it would sound like to hit the front end of it with the 5f6 Bassman circuit.

That was my first instinct.
The 55 for that nasty and juicy Neil Young over the top early Deluxe sound. It should also add a bit of earlier breakup to the Carr Rambler. Since the Carr is basically a Deluxe type tone stack with more clean headroom it should pair really well
From the demos, the SVT seems to nail that Stones thing, which is really great.
I also own a 72 Silverface Bassman Head, and I wonder what it would sound like to hit the front end of it with the 5f6 Bassman circuit.
In the green setting, the 55 will do some less gainy very volume knob responsive overdrive/distortion as well as the over the top NY stuff.

Ok I tried out the Hot Plexi. Meh, sounds just about like any other Marshally distortion pedal. Really compressed and fizzy unless it’s just barely on. Good if that’s your thing but I rarely play that kind of music but it does a pretty good job with the stack o Marshall’s imitation at low volume.

I also have a couple of older Dano pedals I’ll let go as well for the same price.

View attachment 38742 View attachment 38743
The Daddy O is a bargain for an overdrive pedal.

BTW, HNPD cubed!

I’m still gassin for some Catlinbread. 5F6, F55, and SFT.
Trouble is I want all 3. Plus a Belle Epoch or Echorec.
My o my, where to begin?

The SFT is a great pedal. It’s got a distinctive voice and does that JUST breaking up touch sensitive thing. All the 70s Stones sounds are there. I’ve not messed with the Stoner mode much, but it sounds epic.

I currently run a JC77 and rehearse in spaces with a bunch of giant clean solid state boxes (those older Fender and Peavey takes on the JC120). The SFT...and I’d wager the other Catalinbread foundation boxes...are a great way to get a good ampy sound out of amps that are like big clean PAs.

I’m not a dedicated X kind of amp player. I like situational tones, so boxes into big clean amps is a great way to have a smorgasbord of grit. I mean, if I had my druthers I’d likely have a JCM800 or something similarly big, dumb, and impractical. But I’m not some kind of teenage weiner looking for tinnitus and danger.

View attachment 38742 View attachment 38743
I’ll take the Danos

Back