Cheap Fender at GC

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
Played a fairly cheap (tagged at $399) Fender acoustic at my local, Kalamazoo GC that played fantastic. It had super low action, heck probably lower than a few of my electric guitar like my Reverend Sensei, my LTD EC1000ET, etc. Just a tad bit of fret buzz on the high E-string, so maybe not a guitar you'd record with, but for playing live in a Dive or around the campfire, no one would even notice.

I fine-tuned the low E (it was out just a hair) then I went to town on it, string bends and everything and the tuning was really stable. I'm almost tempted to buy it, I liked the way it played that much. But then I'd have to try and sell my CA Cargo.

It was one of these: http://www.samash.com/t-bucket-400c...MIoL23kpHP1QIVw7fACh3-AAPqEAQYASABEgIu6vD_BwE

0968077021_gtr_cntbdyright_001_nr.jpg

Had some kind of dark, but with spots all over, wood for the back and sides. Some kind of burled wood, maybe?

There was some young pretty gal doing a photo-shoot in the GC when I walked in, by the electric guitars. No one was in the acoustic room when I went in there, but minutes later they all came in the acoustic room and started doing the photo shoot in there.

After I was done playing that Fender, an older lady...heck, who am I kidding, she was probably younger than me...came up to me and told me "that was lovely playing, thank you. It made nice background music for my daughter's photo-shoot". Kinda embarrassed as I don't think I'm all that good, I asked if it was a shoot for a modeling agency, and she said oh no, it was for High School senior pictures and that Guitar Center was advertising for seniors to get pictures taken there.

Well, that's one way to help cut into GC's enormous debt...

I got one of the super cheap fender parlors about 10 years ago, and it plays like a dream. However, it was made so cheaply i can't find replacement bridge pins, and the head has already cracked off one of them.

Agreed. I tend to prefer acoustics without the cutout, but at least Fender didn't put the strat-type headstock on it like they do on a lot of acoustics.
Personally, the only Fender acoustics I have bought had the strat-type headstocks. My favorite was the tele-coustic.
fender-telecoustic-2000-2005-6688.jpg

I wish now I had held on to it.

I've never played a Fender acoustic that I liked, but to be truthful I probably only ever ran across their budget beginner models by friends and just never bothered to try one in the store.

I've never played a Fender acoustic that I liked, but to be truthful I probably only ever ran across their budget beginner models by friends and just never bothered to try one in the store.
The ones I played would not rival Martins, but were decent guitars for the price range. I think they recently tried to move into the $1000 acoustic guitar market; I don't know that many people will chance those, though.

The ones I played would not rival Martins, but were decent guitars for the price range. I think they recently tried to move into the $1000 acoustic guitar market; I don't know that many people will chance those, though.
I've mentioned before that I lucked out and got the best acoustic that I've played to date for 250 bucks back in 92. I've been jaded ever since, everything I play doesn't stand up except for a Furch (Czech brand) that I played earlier this year. So maybe they were fine for the money and I just didn't appreciate it.

Back