Chasing a Particular Tone-Marshall

I hear what you are saying, and I'm a total neophyte at tube nuances, but from a few listens to soundclips of the tubes (6CA7s and EL34s and 6L6s), I'm almost curious if it's not a higher powered tube like KT-66 or KT-77s which had more of the character I'm referencing. Thoughts?

Typically, I say power tube rolling for tone is a waste of time. Pick the tube for the output and application. This is a bit of an exception, the power tube break-up at volume is a little more of a noticeable effect.

Still, they can be simply grouped...
  • 6L6GC, (real beam power) 6CA7, KT77, 6550 are perceived a bit "midscooped"
  • EL34, KT66, KT88 are more middy
  • 6L6GC, El34, KT66, KT77 are all roughly similar output 25-30 watts max. dissipation
  • 6550, KT88 are 35 watts max. dissipation
Maximum dissipation is based more on what kind of plate voltages the tube can safely handle. Tubes use the plate voltage (DC) as an energy source to amplify the AC signal. The more plate voltage you apply...the more max. watts (though plate load comes into this equation as well).
  • A 6L6WGB has a maximum dissipation of 23 watts and a maximum plate voltage of 400 volts DC
  • A 6L6GC has a maximum dissipation of 30 watts BECAUSE it has a maximum plate voltage of 500 volts DC
  • At ≤400 volts DC to the plates...both tubes produce the same wattage
I think you are centered on the small things. The big things are preamp design...volume being played at...speakers used...mics used...mic placement...board EQ. Any one of these things can have a night-or-day effect on tone.

Last edited:
This video is pretty good, and the one by bugopera.

There is a YT video using a Manley M-200 pedal which is quite good. I wonder if the Skreddy P19 is similar? (Haven't checked yet, in a squabble with the Mrs. at the moment)

I think this is the way I'm going. Don't need a 200W Marshall. I watched a video with Mick Ronson discussing his playing, and he was playing a Tele through a small combo and getting quite close to what I'm talking about. A "cocked" wah (Cry-Baby) enters the equation.

i want this pedal now!

Back