Chappers top-10 guitars in his collection

I happened to watch this earlier today. Definitely a nice collection (that's only the top ten ? lol ). I'd be happy to own any one of those. Even through my crappy speakers I can hear the different tones. I'd like to try the PRS, & the semi-hollow Les Paul. The ease of high fretboard access on a flying V is very appealing though. I like the blue tele one as well.

Blue tele for me please. The Cap 10 sounded great, but I'm not sold on that burst with a white pearl guard, yuck.

While I actually don't mind Chappers in an overall sense, he often comes across as over enthusiastic to the point of smarmy. As such, I can't help but question that four of these top 10 happen to be Chapman guitars. I'm not saying they aren't great guitars and I'm also not dismissing potentially real enthusiasm for guitars that he was instrumental in creating, but it's a too much of coincidence for me.

But as has been mentioned, the blue ML-3 is a sweet looking guitar. They all sound as decent as the aforementioned crappy speakers can reveal, but I'm not a fan of his playing. Rob is a great player and I like how he amalgamates styles and incorporates a lot of different techniques into his playing relatively seamlessly, but I don't find his playing particularly inspiring...although it can be fun. It's not just him though, too many folks focus on dirty/distorted tones and not enough on clean. Clean is either an afterthought or a rarely used foundation for distorted tones.

I'll stop being a douche...for now. :thu:

Last edited:
While I actually don't mind Chappers in an overall sense, he often comes across as over enthusiastic to the point of smarmy. As such, I can't help but question that four of these top 10 happen to be Chapman guitars. I'm not saying they aren't great guitars and I'm also not dismissing potentially real enthusiasm for guitars that he was instrumental in creating, but it's a too much of coincidence for me.

But as has been mentioned, the blue ML-3 is a sweet looking guitar. They all sound as decent as the aforementioned crappy speakers can reveal, but I'm not a fan of his playing. Rob is a great player and I like how he amalgamates styles and incorporates a lot of different techniques into his playing relatively seamlessly, but I don't find his playing particularly inspiring...although it can be fun. It's not just him though, too many folks focus on dirty/distorted tones and not enough on clean. Clean is either an afterthought or a rarely used foundation for distorted tones.

I'll stop being a douche...for now. :thu:
I have to say I'm guilty of playing with dirt 99% of the time. :embarrassed:

I do have to say, though, I do enjoy a nice clean tone. A lot of clean tones I hear tend to be muddy messes or icepicks. I like a nice full clean tone with an articulate high end.

As far as the guitars, I'm surprised there weren't more Chapman guitars in there, considering the fact that they're all built to his approved spec. There were the sentimental guitars I understood but a couple that were just favorites of his which weren't Chapman guitars.

I think a lot of people forget that British people also have a different sense of humor than most of us Americans. He just strikes me as what they would call "cheeky".

As far as the guitars, I'm surprised there weren't more Chapman guitars in there, considering the fact that they're all built to his approved spec.

only his sig guitars are 100% his spec, like the RC3 and Ghost fret. The rest are spec'd by the community voting system, which i think is a really cool way of going about it. Let the people decide.

I'm one of the minority that doesn't mind Rob, he's an awesome player having fun with it. He always gets slated on uk forums.

Love that hollowbody LP. I didnt know they existed. I'm intrigued now!

I'm one of the minority that doesn't mind Rob, he's an awesome player having fun with it. He always gets slated on uk forums.

Love that hollowbody LP. I didnt know they existed. I'm intrigued now!
Didn't know that. I figured he was beloved, generally.

For whatever it's worth, I don't dislike him and I've watched way too many of their videos. So no one here has said anything negative about him. Smarm level is highly subjective and as stated, it hasn't bothered me enough to stop me from watching tons of his vids and digging on Chapman guitars.

I have to give Rob Chapman credit for his business acumen in vertically integrating his ventures, and for doing so in a way that feels organic and not forced. He seems witty and likable, and you can't fault his chops. I'm not really interested in his products, but I definitely respect his entrepreneurial spirit- YouTube guitarists are a dime a dozen, but Chapman is clearly thinking beyond that.

And I'm not surprised he gets slated in the UK. Their entire pop culture is based around building people up so they can then be torn down.

I've never played one of his guitars, but a friend of mine has one of his T styles and raves about it.

As far as the guitars, I'm surprised there weren't more Chapman guitars in there, considering the fact that they're all built to his approved spec. There were the sentimental guitars I understood but a couple that were just favorites of his which weren't Chapman guitars.

I was surprised there wasn't a single ESP in the 10 as IIRC, he was an endorsee for a few years.

Aren't you Dennis Fano?

163908807.jpg

Last edited:
Back