Changeing strings on my 12 string advice needed.

mikesr1963

Gonna walk my dog, you?
Got a 12 string a while back. The strings that came on it will tune to key and sound ok. Of course with any new guitar, I've bought strings for it and want to replace them. On any 6 string guitar I remove all the strings at once and then clean, lem oil, buff out fretts as need. With a 12 string if I remove all the strings is the neck going to freak and not go back to position when I put the new strings on? What do you do on your 12? Thank you.

I have replaced all 12 strings on my Tak with no issues. As long as you don't leave it w/out any tension for a long time, I don't think it's an issue.

I had an Alvarez 12 that didn't even have strings on it for a year or two with no issues. Personally I like removing them all and giving the guitar a quick wipe down with a damp cloth better restringing to clean it up.

I agree that it shouldn't be an issue for a short time. Still, I restring one string at a time, unless I am doing a thorough cleaning.

If you're not changing string gauges, clean er up, put the new strings on and it should be fine....

When I changed the strings on my dad's 12 strings, I took them all off at once to do a cleaning and had no issues.

Back