Celestion Blues...tell me about them.

Guitar Heel

Demented Trick
I have the curious.

As for my tastes, I'm all about that mid...bout that mid..no treble (or bass). The V30 is like an ice pick to my tender ears, and though I used to favor the Greenback, the G12H30 has been my favorite for some time now.

Where would the Blue fit on that spectrum?

Good question... I agree the V30 is harsh as hell to me. I have a greenback and a creamback in my rig, wondering what the blues are like. I know they're expensive and I think Rick Nielson uses them...

Good question... I agree the V30 is harsh as hell to me. I have a greenback and a creamback in my rig, wondering what the blues are like. I know they're expensive and I think Rick Nielson uses them...
They're pricey and LOUD...but I have a hard time interpreting the data on Celestion's site.

I have a 2x12 with Splawn small block speakers made by Eminence. They are similar to greenbacks only rated at 55W instead of 25W. Amazing speakers...best I've ever played through.

Not that, that answers your question at all....

I have the curious.

As for my tastes, I'm all about that mid...bout that mid..no treble (or bass). The V30 is like an ice pick to my tender ears, and though I used to favor the Greenback, the G12H30 has been my favorite for some time now.

Where would the Blue fit on that spectrum?

MUCH more efficient than the Greenbacks, brighter too, lots off upper mids, but they still roll off highs before they get too piercing. They've been design to accent that Vox chime that everyone loves them for. People like them for amps like 5E3 because the high sensitivity gives those amps some extra volume and and the upper-mid voicing brightens up the dark 5E3.

I have one in my AC15. Clean, shimmering highs without the ice pick. Tight bass - good upper mids. Glorious sound in the right amp.

I have a few of them in different Cabs. started with 2 in a 1936 cab. They sound terrific with a wide combination of heads. It seems that most that come through the studio goto the 2x12 with 1 blue and 1 heritage mix. It does sound spectacular, when matched with fender Vibro-Champ head or a Marshall like -18w Shipwreck Head.

We have also run them through VOX 15 and Orange 15 heads. They will actually make the Orange head sound good lol.

Are they worth the money------ Yes! I think the best Cab we have is the one that is mixed with the Heritage speaker.

They also mix well with the Greenback, not so well with a V30

I have an Eminence Red Fang and a Weber Blue Dog in my Hayseed 30. They're a little cheaper than the Celestions. They definitely complete the Vox sound. The above descriptions are pretty spot-on.

Back